1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical Potetnial.

1. Jun 5, 2008 #1
    The question is from kittel's book, thermal physics:

If n concentaration of moleclues at the surface of earth, M the mass of a molecule and g and gravitational acceleration at the surface, show that at constant temprature the total number of molecules in the atmosphere is [tex]N=4\pi n(R)exp(-MgR/\tau)\int_{R}^{\infty}drr^2exp(MgR^2/(r\tau)[/tex] where tau is the tempratue divided by boltzman's constant, and r is measured from the centre of the earth and R is the radius of the earth.

my attempt at solution:
    Now obviously this is a question of chemical potenital, i.e
    [tex]\tau log(n(R)/n_Q)=\tau log(n(r)/n_Q)+Mg(r-R)[/tex]
    where [tex]n_Q=(M\tau /2\pi\hbar^2)^\frac{3}{2}[/tex] and N/V=n where V is the volume of the concentration, now i get that:
    [tex]N=V*n(R)*exp(-Mg(r-R)/\tau)[/tex]
    but I'm not sure how to calculate V the volume here, any suggestions?
    obviously if i solve this then i will show the identity but how?

thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2008 #2
    First of all, remember that the density will vary with distance from the Earth's surface. This means you can't just multiply by a volume to get particle number; you'll have to integrate it.

4. Jun 5, 2008 #3
    how exactly?
    I mean:
    n(r)/V=n(R)*exp(-Mg(r-R)/(k_B*T)

how to procceed from here?
    I mean N=integral(n(r)/V)dV
    where dV=r^2sin(theta)drd(theta)d(phi).
    how to evalute V i mean i can see ad hoc what it needs to be from what i need to show, but it doesnt make much sense to me at least, i mean from what i see V should be an exponenetial without any factor attach to it in order to make its units of volume.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?