What Chemical Reactions Create Cooling at Room Temperature?

In summary, there are several possible examples of endothermic reactions that can create cooling at room temperature. These include the reaction between citric acid and baking soda, evaporation of certain liquids such as water and methanol, and mixing hydrated barium hydroxide and ammonium thiocyanate. Another option is to dissolve ammonium nitrate in water, although this may raise suspicion due to its use in terrorist activities. Additionally, the cooling effect from air cans used to clean computer keyboards is due to the Joule-Thompson expansion of compressed gas.
sniffer
hi.

i am not chemist, and i am looking for some simple reactions which can happen at room temperature and it creates cooling after reaction, i.e. it absorbs energy.

any body know some examples? :confused:

thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You are looking for an endothermic reaction, I think?
I guess the simplest reaction I can think of is ice --> water :P

A relatively more complex one might be the reaction of citric acid and baking soda

I will sketch out the endothermic reaction for you

H3C6H5O7 (aq) + 3NaHCO3 (s) --> 3CO2 (g) + 3H2O (l) + NaC6H5O7 (aq)

Forgive my lack of tidiness and Latex :P

sniffer said:
hi.

i am not chemist, and i am looking for some simple reactions which can happen at room temperature and it creates cooling after reaction, i.e. it absorbs energy.

any body know some examples? :confused:

thanks.
Are you specifically looking for a chemical reaction ? Most evaporations at room temperature will do what you want - except they are not considered chemical reactions. Examples : evaporation of water, methanol, acetone, isopropanol.

A popular room temperature reaction that is highly endothermic is that between hydrated barium hydroxide and ammonium thiocyanate. Mixing a couple of spoonfuls (okay, spatulafuls) of each can cool the beaker below freezing in a matter of seconds.

what is the chemical formulae for ammonium thiocyanate? i never heard it.

is barium hydroxide BaOH ?

sorry, i really don't know chemistry.

no need to reply. i found the formulae.\

thanks

Dissolve some ammonium nitrate in water and you've got a cold pack.

but if i buy that i will be suspect for terrorist.

What do they use in those air cans that they use to clean computer key boards with? After you start to use it, the can beceome extremely cold and frost build up on it.

oh yes, of course how could I forget? if you put the barium hydroxide and ammonium cyanate in a beaker that's on top of a wooden board with a some liberally sprinkled water on it, you can easily have it frozen to the board for a dramatic effect =)

gravenewworld said:
What do they use in those air cans that they use to clean computer key boards with? After you start to use it, the can beceome extremely cold and frost build up on it.
I thought that was just pressurized air in the can. The cooling would be from the Joule-Thompson expansion of the compressed gas.

What is a chemical reaction?

A chemical reaction is a process in which two or more substances, called reactants, interact with each other to produce one or more new substances, called products. This process typically involves the breaking and forming of chemical bonds.

What factors can influence the rate of a chemical reaction?

The rate of a chemical reaction can be influenced by several factors, including concentration of reactants, temperature, surface area, and the presence of a catalyst. These factors can increase or decrease the speed at which reactants are converted into products.

How does cooling affect a chemical reaction?

Cooling can affect a chemical reaction in several ways. Lowering the temperature of a reaction can slow down the rate of the reaction, as the reactant particles have less kinetic energy to collide and react with each other. In some cases, cooling can also change the products of a reaction, as certain reactions are temperature-dependent.

What is an exothermic reaction?

An exothermic reaction is a chemical reaction that releases energy in the form of heat. This type of reaction often produces heat as a product, and can also cause the surrounding temperature to increase. Examples of exothermic reactions include combustion and neutralization reactions.

Can chemical reactions be reversed?

Some chemical reactions can be reversed, while others cannot. Reversible reactions are those that can proceed in both the forward and reverse directions, meaning products can react to form reactants again. Irreversible reactions, on the other hand, only proceed in one direction and cannot be reversed. The reversibility of a reaction depends on the conditions, such as temperature and concentration, and the nature of the reactants and products involved.