Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical Reaction Engineering

1. Aug 29, 2018 #1
    I'm confused in the balancing of a reactor , lets say the inlet volumetric flow rate is ##v_○## and outlet volumetric flow rate is ##v_1##
    Doubts:
    1) How is the volumetric flow rate and volume of the reactor ##V## are related to each other ?
    2) If the volumetric flow rate is constant ( ##i.e## ##v_○=v_1## ) , is the Volume of the reactor ##V## is going to be same? If yes whats the reason,if not why not?
    3) What does generation, consumption, accumulations means in a reactor and how these all are related together with the volumetric flow rate and volume of the reactor ##V## .
    Thanks
    Maybe these all are related to general mole balance

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2018 #2

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

We generally balance mass flows, not volumetric flows. Mass is conserved. Volume is not conserved.

All of your questions apply to any pipe and tank arrangement, not just reactors. So, try a simpler case first. Think of a tea kettle instead of a reactor .

4. Aug 29, 2018 #3
    Actually I'm balancing mole using volumetric flow rates ,e.g ##n_{a○}=C_{a○}.v_○##
    Where ##n_{a○}##= molar inflow rate of species a
    ##C_{a○}##= concentration of species a inflow
    ##v_{a○}##=inlet flow rate

5. Aug 29, 2018 #4
    All of these things are explained clearly in books on reaction engineering, such as Levenspiel or Fogler. Your questions suggest that you haven't been exposed to anything on this subject yet. The volume flow rate and reactor volume are independent parameters that are unrelated.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted