Solving the Mystery of NaOH + H2O Reaction

In summary, the reaction between NaOH and H2O results in the dissociation of the ionic solid NaOH in water, which is a thermodynamically favored process. For a more detailed explanation, refer to online resources such as the link provided.
Moe_slow
I have trouble trying to figure out what happens to this reaction:

NaOH(s)+H2O(l)->

my first thought was that maybe nothing happened but then moved on to wondering wether it ionizes. can someone explain to me what happens and maybe why it does?

Physics news on Phys.org
You wondered correctly. Ionic solids tend to dissociate in water (this is what makes them soluble).

As to why this happens, the short (and both uninsightful as well as unsatisfying) answer is that some ionization (or dissociation) is thermodynamically favored. For a more intuitive explanation, see for example:

http://chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/blsolubility.htm

I can provide an explanation for the reaction between NaOH and H2O. When NaOH (sodium hydroxide) is added to H2O (water), it dissociates into its ions, Na+ and OH-. This is known as ionization.

The Na+ ions and OH- ions then interact with the water molecules. The OH- ions attract the partially positive hydrogen atoms in the water molecules, forming hydrogen bonds. This process is known as hydration.

The result of this reaction is the formation of a basic solution, as the OH- ions increase the concentration of hydroxide ions in the water. This can also be seen by the increase in pH, as the solution becomes more alkaline.

In summary, the reaction between NaOH and H2O involves the ionization of NaOH and the hydration of its ions, resulting in the formation of a basic solution. This reaction is important in various industries, such as in the production of soaps and detergents, as well as in chemical synthesis processes. I hope this explanation helps to solve the mystery of the NaOH + H2O reaction.

1. What is the chemical equation for the reaction between NaOH and H2O?

The chemical equation for the reaction between NaOH and H2O is:
NaOH + H2O → Na+ + OH- + H2O

2. What type of reaction is the reaction between NaOH and H2O?

The reaction between NaOH and H2O is a neutralization reaction, where an acid and a base react to form a salt and water.

3. What is the purpose of this reaction in chemistry?

The purpose of this reaction is to produce a solution of sodium hydroxide (NaOH), which is a commonly used base in various industrial and laboratory processes.

4. What are the physical and chemical properties of the products formed in this reaction?

The products of this reaction, sodium ions (Na+) and hydroxide ions (OH-), are both highly soluble in water. They also have a strong alkaline nature, making the resulting solution highly basic.

5. Can this reaction be reversed?

Yes, the reaction between NaOH and H2O can be reversed by adding an acid to the solution, which will neutralize the base and reform the original reactants. This is known as a back-titration or acid-base titration.