Calcium Sulfate Dihydrate Reaction w/ Water - Fred

In summary, the conversation discusses the necessary calculations to determine the amount of water needed for a chemical reaction involving calcium sulfate dihydrate and water. It is suggested to calculate the moles of the compound and use the 1.5:1 ratio to find the grams and then convert to milliliters using the density of water. The hint provided is to remember that one mole of water is equal to 18 grams.
Mathman23
Hi

I got a question regarding chemical reaction:

3 H2O + 2(CaSO4 . 1/2 H2O) ----> 2 (CaSO4 . 2H20)

calciumsulfat dihydrat reacting via water.

My question is:

If I have 1 Kilogram of calciumsulfat dihydrat how much water is needed ?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely

Fred

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hello,

You'll first need to calculate how many moles of calcium sulfate dihydrate are equal to one kilogram. Then notice that there is 1,5:1 ratio between water and calcium compound, just do the necessary math to obtain the moles, and find the grams from it. Since the density of water is 1 g/mL at ambient temperature, you can directly find how many mililiters of water will be used in the reaction.

Hint: one mole of water is equal to eighteen grams, since O:16 g/mol and H:1 g/mol.

Regards, chem_tr

Hi Fred,

Thanks for your question. The reaction you mentioned is the conversion of calcium sulfate dihydrate (CaSO4 . 1/2 H2O) to calcium sulfate hemihydrate (CaSO4 . 2H2O) when it comes in contact with water. To answer your question, the amount of water needed will depend on the amount of calcium sulfate dihydrate you have.

In order to convert 1 kilogram of calcium sulfate dihydrate to calcium sulfate hemihydrate, you will need 3 moles of water (3 H2O) for every 2 moles of calcium sulfate dihydrate (2 CaSO4 . 1/2 H2O). This equates to approximately 90 grams of water.

I hope this helps answer your question. Please let me know if you need any further clarification.

1. What is the chemical formula for Calcium Sulfate Dihydrate?

The chemical formula for Calcium Sulfate Dihydrate is CaSO4 · 2H2O.

2. What happens when Calcium Sulfate Dihydrate reacts with water?

When Calcium Sulfate Dihydrate reacts with water, it undergoes a double displacement reaction, forming Calcium Hydroxide (Ca(OH)2) and Gypsum (CaSO4 · 2H2O).

3. Is the reaction between Calcium Sulfate Dihydrate and water exothermic or endothermic?

The reaction between Calcium Sulfate Dihydrate and water is exothermic, meaning it releases heat energy.

4. What are the properties of the products formed in the reaction between Calcium Sulfate Dihydrate and water?

Calcium Hydroxide is a white, powdery substance that is slightly soluble in water. Gypsum is a white, crystalline mineral that is insoluble in water.

5. What are the common uses of Calcium Sulfate Dihydrate and its products?

Calcium Sulfate Dihydrate is commonly used in building materials, such as drywall and plaster. Calcium Hydroxide is used in agriculture as a fertilizer and in the production of paper. Gypsum has various industrial uses, including in the production of cement and as a soil amendment for improving soil structure.