Chemical Reactions: Stronger Bonds, Reactive Elements

In summary, the more reactive an element is, the stronger bonds it forms and the more energy it takes to break them. Most of the elements in our bodies, in their pure form, are reactive, such as carbon, oxygen, and hydrogen. Despite already being in a stable state after one or two reactions, these elements can continue to bond due to their electronegativities and their desire to form stable compounds. This is evident in the formation of water (H2O) from hydrogen and oxygen, and the constant equilibrium reaction in water that allows for the presence of both hydrogen and hydroxide ions. Overall, understanding the reactivity and bonding of elements is important in chemistry and can be further explored through systematic courses and the works
LogicalAcid
The more reactive an element, the stronger bonds it forms, because the same energy must be put into that bond to separate them that was put out due to the reaction. Most of the elements we are made of, in pure form, are reactive correct? Carbon and oxygen have very high electronegativities, and Hydrogen is reactive as well. Therefore, shouldn't elements stop bonding after one or two reactions? For instance, let's make some HO. After the reaction is done, I am sure much energy was put into the reaction,due to both the elements being very reactive. So why is it that when another Hydrogen atom comes along, the HO will react with the lone H atom, if they are already in a stable state?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Firstly it's [tex]OH^{1-}[/tex], meaning it has a negative charge so when a hydrogen ion [tex]H^+[/tex] (a proton) comes along it is attracted and creates a stable and neutral water molecule [tex]H_2O[/tex] but it can also create a monoprotic hydronium [tex]H_3O^+[/tex]. There is a constant equilibrium reaction in water [tex]H_2O + H^+ \leftrightarrow H_3O^+[/tex] meaning it changes back and forth because water acts as a base and an acid.

Last edited:
Obviously HO is not stable, it is H2O that is stable. In the simplest version - hydrogen is monovalent, oxygen is divalent. In OH hydrogen is happy (bonded), but oxygen has one valence left, so it still wants to bond with something. Another hydrogen will do.

I think instead of asking random questions you should start with some systematic chemistry course. For example you may try http://preparatorychemistry.com (I must admit I don't know the book, but I have heard good opinions).

Kevin_Axion said:
Firstly it's [tex]OH^{1-}[/tex], meaning it has a negative charge

Hard to say what it is, it can be as well OH. (free radical).

Borek said:
Obviously HO is not stable, it is H2O that is stable. In the simplest version - hydrogen is monovalent, oxygen is divalent. In OH hydrogen is happy (bonded), but oxygen has one valence left, so it still wants to bond with something. Another hydrogen will do.

I think instead of asking random questions you should start with some systematic chemistry course. For example you may try http://preparatorychemistry.com (I must admit I don't know the book, but I have heard good opinions).

Thank you. And if I may ask, what are some dignified Chemists that are also authors?

No idea what you are asking about, but let's say Linus Pauling.

Kevin_Axion said:
Firstly it's [tex]OH^{1-}[/tex], meaning it has a negative charge so when a hydrogen ion [tex]H^+[/tex] (a proton) comes along it is attracted and creates a stable and neutral water molecule [tex]H_2O[/tex] but it can also create a monoprotic hydronium [tex]H_3O^+[/tex]. There is a constant equilibrium reaction in water [tex]H_2O + H^+ \leftrightarrow H_3O^+[/tex] meaning it changes back and forth because water acts as a base and an acid.

briefly the above states that :
water is a buffer system if ANY ions of any other element/compound are present
that means for example (caps means more, / means less)
standard: h+ + oh- -> h20
excess H+ : H+ + /oh- -> h20 ) due to there being more acid, the system automatically balances this addition of H+ by using some of the OH-, to creates more H20
the reverse would occur if more OH- was added.

(for chemists out there, I know that is not the buffer system equation, but it is a simple way to describe it )

Due to this, it literally depends on how many hydrogen ions are present in the environment of the OH- even if there is only one, one water molecule will form. think of it as : 'The oh- wants to be ph neutral, so it wants a H+ to become H20'
The only way to get OH- in a place where it could become water is for the OH- to be in excess.

I realize this is very very simple. but i think it may help

Oxygen is diatomic. It only needs to receive two electrons to be in a "stable" state like the noble gases, which have an outer electron shell of 8 - oxygen has 6. So when 2 hydrogen atoms come along, oxygen is quite happy to bond with these. This is called Oxidation.

1. What are chemical reactions?

Chemical reactions are processes in which one or more substances are transformed into different substances with new chemical and physical properties.

2. What are stronger bonds in chemical reactions?

Stronger bonds refer to chemical bonds that require more energy to break, such as covalent bonds. These bonds are formed when electrons are shared between atoms, resulting in a stable molecule.

3. What are reactive elements in chemical reactions?

Reactive elements are elements that readily undergo chemical reactions due to the presence of unpaired electrons in their outermost energy level. These elements often form compounds with other elements to achieve a more stable electron configuration.

4. How do stronger bonds affect chemical reactions?

Stronger bonds make it more difficult for chemical reactions to occur, as they require more energy to break. This means that reactions involving stronger bonds may require higher temperatures or other energy sources to proceed.

5. Can chemical reactions be reversed?

Yes, many chemical reactions are reversible, meaning that the products can react with each other to form the original reactants. This is known as a reversible reaction, and the direction of the reaction can be controlled by changing the conditions, such as temperature or concentration.