Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemical reactors - reaction

1. Oct 26, 2011 #1
    PER - chemical reaction

Q: A reactor is needed to convert A to R in a liquid reaction. The stoichiomentry is simply A→R and the rate data is given in the table below (P5.21, Levenspiel 1999).

h4l1G.jpg

For the reactant concentration to drop from CA0 = 1.3 mol/L to CAf =0.3 mol/L, determine,

a) the time required with a batch reactor. (ans: 10.21 min).

b) the volume required for a flow reactor to achieve the same conversion as in (a) and at
    a feeding rate of A 1000 mol/h in (1) a PFR, and (2) a CSTR. (ans: PFR V= 130.8 L;
    CSTR V = 25.6 L).

c) the volumes of two flow reactors in series with the exit concentration of A from the 1st
    reactor xA1= 0.231 (i.e. CA1= 1 mol/L) for (1) 1st PFR +2nd CSTR, and (2) 1st CSTR
    +2nd PFR. For both cases, sketch the area for each reactor in the 1/rA-xA plot. (ans: 1,
    V1= 38.7 L,V2 17.9 L; 2, V1= 77.0 L, V2 = 85.4 L).

Hints: Plot 1/rA vs. xA, calculate the area under the line, either by measuring the graphical
    area or by integration of the trend line equation (which should be a 5th order polynomial).

-------------------

This time, I cannot solve question (C).

I can only calculate the part of CSTR.

For the PER in case (1):

(1000/60)(5.0244) (5.0244 is the area that from xA=0 to 0.230769, 1000/60 is the flow rate from part (B))
    =83.74L

My answer is wrong, but I don't know what's wrong with my calculation

3arZ9.jpg

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2011 #2

danago

Gold Member

Are you sure about your data? I have the same textbook, and mine says 0.045 and 0.042 for the last two values of r

4. Oct 27, 2011 #3
    Oh, thank you for reminding me. because I don't have the textbook.
    But, I still cannot find out the answer after using the right value.
    Is it wrong for me to plot a graph?

5. Oct 27, 2011 #4

danago

Gold Member

I don't think there is anything wrong with fitting the data to a line and then integrating from 0.3 to 1.3 (which is one method that the hint does suggest), however i think it would be easier to just integrate numerically with approximating sums. Keep in mind that different methods will give different answers (my solution manual says 12.75 minutes).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook