Is there free software for drawing chemical stick models?

In summary, there is software available for drawing chemical structures, such as Avogadro chemistry software and the freeware version of ACD/ChemSketch. These programs have various tools and features, including 3D modeling, to help create neat and accurate stick models. Tutorials are also available to assist with using the software.
John37309
Is there any free software for drawing nice neat chemical stick models? I'm just looking for simple software to make the simple stick drawings of the chemical structures.

I have software for drawing "ball and stick" type drawings, i use Avogadro chemistry software. Its software for drawing the simple chemical structures i want.

I want to draw drawings like these ones;

100px-D-glucose-chain-2D-Fischer.png

450px-Common_lipids_lmaps.png

300px-Kdo2-lipidA.png

John.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You can "see" the Freeware version of ACD/ChemSketch. I am sure it can make more or less the same type of structures.

Not sure if it will satisfy you but it is quite useful as far as I used it.

AGNuke,
Thats excellent! Thats exactly what i was looking for. In fact even the freeware version has loads of really good tools and stuff for drawing the chemical structures. Its super!

I even found a few Youtube videos with tutorials on how to use it;
How to use ACD ChemSketch, Tutorial;

Thank you AGNuke, thanks for the tip,
John.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Freeware version only disables 2-3 "special" features like nomenclature, use of their database and one more thing. Other than that, you can also use their templates. You can use 3-D modelling too.

AGNuke,
Thanks. I tried out some of the features in the software and its really cool. Yes, the 3D modelling is great.

Thanks for the tip AGNuke,
John.

1. What is chemical stick model software?

Chemical stick model software is a computer program specifically designed for creating 2D or 3D models of chemical structures. It allows scientists to visualize and manipulate the arrangement of atoms and bonds in a molecule, making it a valuable tool for research and education.

2. How does chemical stick model software work?

Chemical stick model software uses algorithms and mathematical calculations to generate accurate representations of chemical structures. It typically involves selecting atoms and bonds from a digital library and arranging them according to the desired molecular formula and geometry.

3. What are the benefits of using chemical stick model software?

Chemical stick model software allows scientists to easily visualize and analyze complex chemical structures, making it useful for studying molecular properties and interactions. It can also aid in the design and development of new drugs, materials, and other products.

4. Is chemical stick model software user-friendly?

Most chemical stick model software is designed to be user-friendly, with intuitive interfaces and features that make it accessible to students and researchers alike. However, some programs may have a steeper learning curve and require basic knowledge of chemistry concepts and terminology.

5. What are some popular chemical stick model software programs?

Some popular chemical stick model software programs include ChemDraw, Avogadro, and MarvinSketch. Each program has its own unique features and capabilities, so it is important to research and choose the one that best suits your needs and preferences.