1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Chemical thermodynamics

1. Jun 27, 2016 #1
    Guys im getting confused that what is state function? People say if state changes then state function also changes. But my view is if that variable changes then only state changes and its not necessary when a state change will always lead to change of every state function.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2016 #2
    It is very hard to understand what you are saying. Can you please reword this in an alternate way? Maybe examples would help too.

4. Jun 28, 2016 #3
    I think I can explain state functions.
    Things that are only dependent on the current state of the system are state functions.
    Gravitational potential energy is a state function.It is determined by the position of the masses in your system.(On earth the height above the ground.)
    Thermal energy is a state function . Just knowing the temperature and the specific heat capacity you can figure it out.
    Enthalpy is also a state function.It is dependent on the same things thermal energy depends and additionally on the volume and pressure of the system.
    You can go on like this.Entropy and stuff like the other thermodynamic potentials are also a state function
    The amount of frictional energy an object "loses" to the environment between two points is not only dependant on the two points.
    It is not a state function because it depends on the path.

I suspect that did not help you much, but feel free to ask it again in a more specific way.

5. Jul 8, 2016 #4
    Yeah I understood about the state functions....now having a clear view to it...thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted