What are Some Strong-Smelling Chemicals Used in a Laboratory?

In summary, the author suggests that it is a good idea to use chem hoods in the laboratory so that you do not have to compile lists of smelly chemical vapors. The author also provides a list of chem hoods.
nbgoku
Hi there

Do you all have any chemicals that you can think of in a laboratory that give off a very strong smell and should be used under the chemhood

I just used Glacial Acetic Acid today and I had no idea how strong the smell was . from now on I am using it under the chemhood

I have created a list so far, if anyone has anything else I can add that would be great:
* Acetic Acid (Glacial Acetic Acid)
* Acetonitrile
* Ammonia
* Beta-mercaptoethanol
* Cadaverine
* Chloroform
* Formaldehyde
* Hydrogen sulfide
* Methanol
* N-Butanol
* Oleum
*Paraformaldehyde
* Sulfuric acid
*Trimethylamine
*Virkon

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Carbon disulfide. putrecine, skatole (3-methyl indole).

It's probably a good idea in the chem lab, as a general safety rule, not to inhale any chemical vapors, even the ones with inoffensive aromas.

That way, you don't need to run around compiling lists, which are going to be problematic to check in a given situation.

Likes billy_joule
As a chemist, I could never resist getting a good whiff of something I'd never smelled before. Chemists years ago used to taste them as well. I used to wash my hands with carbon tetrachloride. And oh, Tester's glue :wideeyed:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
The problem with making lists of smelly chemical vapors is that it ignores any which might be odorless but nevertheless still dangerous or toxic.

In particular, hydrogen sulfide has the odor of rotten eggs at low concentrations, but this chemical is notorious for paralyzing the olfactory nerves when inhaled at high concentrations. You literally cannot smell it any longer and think you are no longer in danger, when precisely the opposite is true.

The chem hoods are put in labs for a reason, and not just to satisfy the safety boffins. Use them.

Here is a list of them too. I believe all of us have enjoyed the smell of hydrogen sulfide at least once in our lives.
One of the most common smells we always find interesting but is less known or cared about by many is that of the rain, which is caused by an organic compound called geosmin produced a type of soil-dwelling bacteria named actinomycetes.

Likes Borek
SteamKing said:
The problem with making lists of smelly chemical vapors is that it ignores any which might be odorless but nevertheless still dangerous or toxic.

In particular, hydrogen sulfide has the odor of rotten eggs at low concentrations, but this chemical is notorious for paralyzing the olfactory nerves when inhaled at high concentrations. You literally cannot smell it any longer and think you are no longer in danger, when precisely the opposite is true.

The chem hoods are put in labs for a reason, and not just to satisfy the safety boffins. Use them.

When I was a research assistant with the Organic Geochemistry Group at FAU, my boss dang near killed himself with nitrogen. He was evaporating down a sample under the hood with a nitrogen blanket over the sample. The flow rate was stepped up, surpassing the hood's capability to evacuate. After a while, his knees buckled and he passed out.

Thanks for the suggestion.

1. What causes chemicals to have a strong smell?

Chemicals with a strong smell are often referred to as volatile organic compounds (VOCs). These compounds have a high vapor pressure at room temperature, meaning they easily evaporate into the air and produce a strong odor. The smell is caused by the molecular structure of the chemical and its ability to interact with receptors in our nose.

2. Are all chemicals with a strong smell harmful?

Not all chemicals with a strong smell are harmful, but some may cause irritation or health issues if inhaled in high concentrations. It is important to follow safety guidelines and use proper ventilation when working with any chemicals, especially those with a strong smell.

3. How can I get rid of the smell of chemicals?

The best way to get rid of the smell of chemicals is to properly store them in a well-ventilated area and use them in a well-ventilated space. You can also use air purifiers or open windows to help dissipate the odor. Some chemicals may also have specific methods for cleaning up spills or disposing of them to minimize their smell.

4. Can chemicals with a strong smell cause long-term health effects?

Some chemicals with strong smells can cause long-term health effects if they are consistently inhaled or ingested over a long period of time. It is important to use proper protective equipment and follow safety guidelines when working with these chemicals to minimize any potential health risks.

5. How can I identify chemicals with a strong smell?

Chemicals with a strong smell can often be identified by their safety data sheet (SDS) or label. These documents will list the chemical name, properties, and any potential hazards or safety precautions. You can also use your sense of smell to identify strong odors, but be cautious and use proper safety measures when handling unknown chemicals.