1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry 1 mark mcq question on enthalpy change of atomisation of hydrazine? help!

1. Apr 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hydrazine was used as a fuel for the Messerschmidt 163 rocket fighter in World War II and for the
    American Gemini and Apollo spacecraft.

What is the enthalpy change of atomisation of 1 mol of gaseous hydrazine?
    A 550 kJ
    B 1720 kJ
    C 1970 kJ
    D 2554 kJ
    Use of the Data Booklet is relevant to this question

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Is my equation correct?
    N2(g) + 2H2(g) → N2H4(g)

The bond enthalpy for the N2(triple bond) in the data book let is 994. H2 is 436. N-N is 160 and N-H is 390 (if you need other bond enthalpies from the data booklet Il be happy to provide them)
    I know that one of the ways to find the enthalpy change is Ʃ(bond breaking energy) - Ʃ(bond making energy). So i got 1866-1720= 146J/mol. Which is NOT IN THE OPTION!!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Re: Chemistry 1 mark mcq question on enthalpy change of atomisation of hydrazine? hel

What is "atomization"?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook