Chemistry 30 Redox tables

In summary, the conversation discusses confusion about determining the strongest and weakest oxidizing and reducing agents in redox reactions. It is suggested to refer to a standard potential table, where the higher the potential, the stronger the oxidizing agent and the lower the potential, the stronger the reducing agent. An example using a Copper/Zinc Galvanic Cell is provided to illustrate this concept.
ahhhh

Homework Statement

I'm working on redox tables and I'm really confused. I know how to write out the half reactions, but i don't understand how you tell which is the strongest oxidizing agent or the weakest. Same thing with reducing agents which is strongest or weakest? Help please...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm working on redox tables and I'm really confused. I know how to write out the half reactions, but i don't understand how you tell which is the strongest oxidizing agent or the weakest. Same thing with reducing agents which is strongest or weakest? Help please...

Okay, take for instance, a standard Copper/Zinc Galvanic Cell. When you look at the Standard Potential table [which I presume is what you're wondering about], look at the value and see whether if it like to remain as the ion or the solid [which what Redox is]. The more reactive metal, will like to become the ion, and in the case of the Copper/Zinc -

Zn2+ + 2e- [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] Zn (-0.76V)

Cu2+ + 2e- [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] Cu(0.34V)

Zinc likes to give off it's electrons to become the ion, hence the reverse voltage. So, simplified, just look at the Standard Potential if it is LOWER, so here, Zinc is being oxidized and Copper is being reduced. Hope that helped.

(Two threads merged)

1. What is a redox table in chemistry?

A redox table, also known as an oxidation-reduction table, is a tool used in chemistry to predict the products of a redox reaction. It lists elements and their corresponding oxidation numbers, as well as their likelihood to undergo oxidation or reduction.

2. How is a redox table used in chemistry?

A redox table is used to determine the products of a redox reaction by comparing the oxidation numbers of the elements involved. The element with a higher oxidation number is likely to undergo reduction, while the element with a lower oxidation number is likely to undergo oxidation.

3. What is the purpose of a redox table in chemistry?

The purpose of a redox table is to make predictions about the products of a redox reaction. It helps chemists to understand the behavior of different elements and their likelihood of undergoing oxidation or reduction.

4. How is a redox table different from a standard reduction potential table?

A redox table and a standard reduction potential table are similar in that they both list elements and their corresponding oxidation numbers. However, a redox table also includes information about the likelihood of an element undergoing oxidation or reduction, while a standard reduction potential table only lists the reduction potentials of elements.

5. Can a redox table be used to balance redox equations?

Yes, a redox table can be used to balance redox equations. The oxidation numbers of the elements involved in the reaction can be compared to determine which elements are undergoing oxidation and reduction. By balancing the number of electrons transferred, the equation can be balanced using the redox table.