• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Chemistry 30 Redox tables

• Thread starter ahhhh
  • Start date

Homework Statement

I'm working on redox tables and I'm really confused. I know how to write out the half reactions, but i don't understand how you tell which is the strongest oxidizing agent or the weakest. Same thing with reducing agents which is strongest or weakest? Help please...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Answers and Replies

I'm working on redox tables and I'm really confused. I know how to write out the half reactions, but i don't understand how you tell which is the strongest oxidizing agent or the weakest. Same thing with reducing agents which is strongest or weakest? Help please...

Borek
Mentor
Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, take for instance, a standard Copper/Zinc Galvanic Cell. When you look at the Standard Potential table [which I presume is what you're wondering about], look at the value and see whether if it like to remain as the ion or the solid [which what Redox is]. The more reactive metal, will like to become the ion, and in the case of the Copper/Zinc -

Zn2+ + 2e- [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] Zn (-0.76V)

Cu2+ + 2e- [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] Cu(0.34V)

Zinc likes to give off it's electrons to become the ion, hence the reverse voltage. So, simplified, just look at the Standard Potential if it is LOWER, so here, Zinc is being oxidized and Copper is being reduced. Hope that helped.

berkeman
Mentor
(Two threads merged)