Chemistry Acid Base HELP PLEASE

In summary, the vessel contains 500mL of .1 molar H2S solution with Ka values of 1 x 10^-7 and 1.3 x 10^-13. When 800mL of .1 molar NaOH is added, the resulting pH can be calculated using the Henderson Hasselbach equation and the second Ka value.
physstudent1

Homework Statement

A vessel contains 500mL of .1 molar H2S solution. For H2S Ka1 = 1 x 10^-7
Ka2 = 1.3 x 10^-13.

What will the pH be when 800mL of .1molar NaOH has been added.

Homework Equations

ph = -log([H])
ph = pka + log(B/A)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is how I started, I found the moles of each. I found I started with .08 moles of NaOH and .05 moles of H2S, subtracted them to get .03 moles of NaOH. Then .03 / (.5 + .8) to get the concentration (total volume), then because all that's left is strong base I took the -log(.023) and then subtracted that from 14 to get the pH. I keep ending up with 12.36 but the answer is 13.1. I need to be able to do this for my exam tomarrow, can anyone help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are k1 and k2?

Ka values, it is a polyprotic acid meaning its Hydrogens leave in steps and it has a different Ka value for each Hydrogen.

Well, I've not studied chemistry for quite a while now, but your reasoning seems fine to me. Sorry I can't be anymore help, but perhaps someone with a Chemistry background will read this and be able to help!

cristo said:
Well, I've not studied chemistry for quite a while now, but your reasoning seems fine to me. Sorry I can't be anymore help, but perhaps someone with a Chemistry background will read this and be able to help!
No - the reasoning is incorrect. H2S is not a strong base. It is a weak acid. Therefore it will disassociate in two steps, each one with a different Ka value.

Write an equation for equilibrium concentrations for the reaction which produces a hydronium ion and a deprotonated hydrogen sulfide. Then write another one which produces the hydronium ion and the sulfide ion. (Remember that in between these two reactions, the hydronium concentration is retained.)

It's a polyprotic disassociation, as you said.

H2S <==> HS + H

HS <==> H + S

I did this and I calculated the concentration of H at both steps
I don't know how this helps me though the concentration of the H ends up being around 1 x 10^-4.

physstudent1 said:

Homework Statement

A vessel contains 500mL of .1 molar H2S solution. For H2S Ka1 = 1 x 10^-7
Ka2 = 1.3 x 10^-13.

What will the pH be when 800mL of .1molar NaOH has been added.

Homework Equations

ph = -log([H])
ph = pka + log(B/A)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is how I started, I found the moles of each. I found I started with .08 moles of NaOH and .05 moles of H2S, subtracted them to get .03 moles of NaOH. Then .03 / (.5 + .8) to get the concentration (total volume), then because all that's left is strong base I took the -log(.023) and then subtracted that from 14 to get the pH. I keep ending up with 12.36 but the answer is 13.1. I need to be able to do this for my exam tomarrow, can anyone help?

You have .1 mole equivalent amount of acid and .08 moles of NaOH, in relative terms, which mean that after the NaOH has been consumed, you're going to be left with concentrations of S 2- and HS-...use the Henderson Hasselbach equation using the second Ka to find the pH of the resulting solution.

1. What is the difference between an acid and a base?

An acid is a substance that donates a proton (H+) in a chemical reaction, while a base is a substance that accepts a proton. Acids typically have a sour taste and can corrode metals. Bases, on the other hand, have a bitter taste and can feel slippery.

2. How do you determine the strength of an acid or base?

The strength of an acid or base is determined by its pH level. Acids have a pH below 7, with stronger acids having a lower pH. Bases have a pH above 7, with stronger bases having a higher pH. The pH scale is logarithmic, meaning a change in one pH unit represents a tenfold change in acidity or basicity.

3. What is the difference between a strong acid/base and a weak acid/base?

A strong acid or base completely dissociates in water, meaning all of its molecules break apart into ions. This results in a higher concentration of H+ or OH- ions, leading to a lower pH or higher pH, respectively. A weak acid or base only partially dissociates in water, resulting in a lower concentration of H+ or OH- ions and a less significant change in pH.

4. How do you calculate the pH of a solution?

The pH of a solution can be calculated using the formula pH = -log[H+], where [H+] represents the concentration of hydrogen ions in moles per liter. Alternatively, if the concentration of hydroxide ions [OH-] is known, the pH can be calculated using the formula pH = 14 - pOH, where pOH = -log[OH-].

5. What are some real-world applications of acid-base chemistry?

Acid-base chemistry is essential in many industries, including food and beverage production, pharmaceuticals, and environmental protection. It is used to determine the acidity or alkalinity of soil, water, and other substances. It is also crucial in maintaining the body's pH balance and regulating various biological processes. Additionally, acid-base reactions play a significant role in chemical synthesis and analysis in research and development.