Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry and A.I

1. Jan 8, 2004 #1
    What do chemists have to offer/contribute to the field of A.I (artificial intelligence)?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2004 #2
    Well actually designing the AI will be up to the computer science, but the people who are making computers smaller and faster are analytical chemists, physical chemists, physicists, and other materials scientists. There's a lot of really cool science going on to make smaller and smaller circuitry.
  4. Jan 11, 2004 #3
    Nice Question! I am not a Chemist! But a CSE student!

From my part, I think chemist can help a lot in the field of A.I.

Firstly, A.I. based on intellegence we say Expert Systems! But where do these systems come from? Of course from our Daily Life intellegent creatures and their activities!

But look at todays Honda made Asimo or any other intellegent Robots, do they even work like a simple insect that is climbing now in your wall? No, as because these system are not as perfect as Biological system!!!

So, from my part (It's generally my vision) that if we know how the Biological system is working...with the help of Chemists and Biologits, these systems can go beyond todays toys
  5. Jan 12, 2004 #4
    Does anybody know of any chemists are are contributing to the field of A.I?
  6. Jan 13, 2004 #5
    Sorry! Don't know about that...but you will find the inverse: many A.I. experts are contributing in the field of Chemistry :)
  7. Jan 18, 2004 #6
    Interesting question(s). Answer? A LOT. While i cannot cite specific research, I can comment on CS issues, solutions, and trends.

As far as Computer Engineering goes, one of the first limitations run across with computational capacity was circuit length and ... believe it or not... the speed of light. Best I know, these still remain logical obstacles as far as "speeding up" circuitry, even insofar as parallel computation.

Superconductor technology evolved out of the study of new materials was a huge impact on the industry allowing for the creation of VLSI chips having functionality that had previously to be "spread out" across wires and boards.... resulting in systems with much higher/faster computational capability.

Soooooo, material research/synthesis, as well as biochemical modeling of natural (e.g. neuronal) processes are extremely important. (AI work in Neural Networks already attempts to model the brain/learning, but the overall neurochemical complexity of the human brain still remains beyond what is "modeled" today.)

ASIDE: I recall a snippet (from European daily, bonafide newspaper TWO YEARS AGO, that indicated the possibility of using "gaseous memory" in computers with a considerable impact on speed and volume... i don't know what happened to that... i will look into it and post again if relevant.

In summary, I believe Chemistry, along with Biology, has a lot to contribute. So much so it scares me at times.

To dig deeper, try googling 'chemistry contributions "artificial intelligence" materials research' - I only glanced at a few result pages - from what I saw, there may be interesting stuff out there already.

hope someone got something out of that

edited/failed to fix url for google results. use keywords instead.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?