[Chemistry] Another electrochemistry question

In summary: After finding X, it is the [Ce3+], i subtract it from 0.008*0.12/0.015 which is the [Ce4+] at equilibrium.
jkh4
1. Homework Statement

Given the following half-reactions:
Ce4+ + e− → Ce3+ E° = 1.72 V
Fe3+ + e− → Fe2+ E° = 0.771 V

A solution is prepared by mixing 7.0 mL of 0.30 M Fe2+ with 8.0 mL of 0.12 M Ce4+.

Calculate [Ce4+] in the solution.

I've got the potential of a platinum electrode dipped into the resulting, equilibrated, solution (relative to SHE) to be 0.767 V, and keq of 1.1×10^16 from this equation: Ce4+ + Fe2+ ⇌ Ce3+ + Fe3+.

How do you get [Ce4+]? Why isn't that the same as the concentration posted in the question?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
jkh4 said:
1. Homework Statement

Given the following half-reactions:
Ce4+ + e− → Ce3+ E° = 1.72 V
Fe3+ + e− → Fe2+ E° = 0.771 V

A solution is prepared by mixing 7.0 mL of 0.30 M Fe2+ with 8.0 mL of 0.12 M Ce4+.

Calculate [Ce4+] in the solution.

I've got the potential of a platinum electrode dipped into the resulting, equilibrated, solution (relative to SHE) to be 0.767 V, and keq of 1.1×10^16 from this equation: Ce4+ + Fe2+ ⇌ Ce3+ + Fe3+.

How do you get [Ce4+]? Why isn't that the same as the concentration posted in the question?

Thanks!

R)____Ce4+___ +_________ Fe2+___⇌___Ce3+___+_Fe3+
I) .008*.12/.015 ______.007*.3/.015______0_________0
C)_____-x _______________-x ___________x ________x
E) .008*.12/.015 -x ____.007*.3/.015 _____x ________x

[tex]k=\frac{x*x}{(\frac{0.008*0.12}{0.015}-x)(\frac{0.007*0.3}{0.015}-x)}[/tex]

but since the k is such large number, [Ce4+] is going to be large too right?

jkh4 said:
but since the k is such large number, [Ce4+] is going to be large too right?
no it will be near 0. X represents Ce3+ concentration and that number minus x represent the Ce4+ Solve x using quadratic. Subtract from that number. Then Ce4+ ends being a pretty small number

so in this case, k is 1.1×10^16? cause when i try the quadratic on the internet quadratic solver, it says the answer is an imagary number...

i got the same problem too... i just cannot solve the quadratic equation

NotMrX said:
R)____Ce4+___ +_________ Fe2+___⇌___Ce3+___+_Fe3+
I) .008*.12/.015 ______.007*.3/.015______0_________0
C)_____-x _______________-x ___________x ________x
E) .008*.12/.015 -x ____.007*.3/.015 _____x ________x

[tex]k=\frac{x*x}{(\frac{0.008*0.12}{0.015}-x)(\frac{0.007*0.3}{0.015}-x)}[/tex]

I used this method too, but i did not get the correct answer

after i found X, it is the [Ce3+], i subtract it from 0.008*0.12/0.015 which is the [Ce4+] at equilibrium
my answer was very close to 0...around 10^-8
why am i not getting the right answer

Can anyone explain how did this person get potential of a platinum electrode?

1. What is electrochemistry?

Electrochemistry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the study of chemical reactions that involve the transfer of electrons between substances (known as redox reactions) and how these reactions can be used to generate electricity.

2. How does electrochemistry affect our everyday lives?

Electrochemistry plays a vital role in many aspects of our daily lives, such as in batteries (used for powering electronic devices), fuel cells (used for generating electricity in cars), and corrosion prevention (used for protecting metal structures and appliances).

3. What is the difference between electrolysis and galvanic cells?

Electrolysis is a process where electrical energy is used to drive a non-spontaneous chemical reaction, while galvanic cells (also known as voltaic cells) are devices that use spontaneous redox reactions to generate electrical energy.

4. Can you explain the terms oxidation and reduction in electrochemistry?

Oxidation refers to the loss of electrons from a substance, while reduction refers to the gain of electrons by a substance. In electrochemistry, oxidation occurs at the anode (positive electrode) and reduction occurs at the cathode (negative electrode).

5. How does the Nernst equation relate to electrochemistry?

The Nernst equation is a mathematical formula that relates the concentration of reactants and products in a redox reaction to the cell potential. It is used to calculate the potential of an electrochemical cell under non-standard conditions.