Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Chemistry: Atomic Orbital

1. Apr 2, 2008 #1
    Hey just need help regarding a few questions.

1. Which is more stable, C 2s or C 2p? Why? Choose the best answers from below:
    (a)higher shielding (b) lower shielding (c) lower n value (d) lower l value

2. Which is more stable, Ar 5p or Ar+ 5p? Why? Choose the best answers from below:

3. Which is more stable, Ar 4s or Ar 5s? Why? Choose the best answers from below:

So does higher shielding means the valance electron are less tightly held by the nucleus? Hence unstable? What does n and l has to do with these questions?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2008 #2
    I would think higher shielding meant closer to the nucleus and so held MORE tightly, but not 100% on that.

n and l would be along the same idea. The lower n or l would mean closer to the nucleus and this would be an electron held more tightly

4. Apr 3, 2008 #3
    N refers to the energy level, and l would refer to the magnetic quantum number, i.e. what kind of orbital it is in (s, p, d, f, etc). l = 0 = s orbital, l = 1 = p orbital, and so on.

5. Apr 4, 2008 #4
    So does higher shielding means the valance electron are less tightly held by the nucleus? Hence unstable? What does n and l has to do with these questions?

Higher shielding probably means "higher shielding effect", i.e. inner electrons...

n describes the location and energy of the electrons

l describes the shape... s which is spherical? p which is dumbbell?

Try drawing the atomic orbitals to aid your quest.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook