Understand Chemistry Bond Symbol for Antioxidants and Free Radicals

In summary, the conversation discusses the chemical structure of Hydrogen Peroxide and the use of different symbols to represent 3D structures in 2D. It also touches on the concept of planar molecules and the mathematical principles behind them. The expert explains the use of wedges in 2D representations and clarifies any confusion about the molecule's structure.
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,
I'm trying to understand antioxidant and free radicals. But I'm afraid that my chemistry is weak.
Perhaps someone can help me with this picture?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_peroxide
Wasserstoffperoxid.jpg

This is Hydrogen Peroxide. Neutral.
As much as I can surmise in this picture is...
1. It's H2O2, I don't need the picture to guess H2O2, Hydrogen Peroxide is clear.
2. Oxygen (Z = 8, electron configuration: 1s2 2s2 2s4 , Oxygen lacks 2 electrons in its outer shell.
3. Hydrogen (Z = 1, 1s1 ), lacks 1 electron
4. Left Oxygen is bound to upper left Hydrogen and right Oxygen, making it complete.
5. So is Right Oxygen.
6. Upper left Hydrogen is bound to left Oxygen, making it complete
7. So is Right Hydrogen.

What I want to ask is that symbol
A: Triangle
B: Broken triangle
C: Rectangle
Why A, B and C pictures are different? Are they bonded in different ways?

Thanks for any help.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
A and B are common 2D representations of 3D structures. A is for a bond that is partially sticking out of the page, and B for a bond that is partially back of the page. C is for a bond that is in the plane of the page.

See, e.g., http://www.chemeddl.org/resources/stereochem/threed3.htm or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeletal_formula#Stereochemistry

Likes Stephanus
Thanks Dr. Claude. I understand.

I should add that in the case of H2O2, this illustrates that the molecule is not planar. The dihedral angle is 120°.

Likes Stephanus
Thanks.
One more thing. Do you think that B - bond should be upside down? If you know what I mean I just click your link. No, it's the right picture. The broken triangle (B) should be as in the original picture, not upside down. Both hydrogens are 'close' to us. If we can say that.
I'm trying to edit the picture but your second reply just comes up.
And if H2O is three atom, that makes it planar, 2D
Then this Hydrogen peroxide perhaps is 3D?

Now, I think I can move on a little
Thanks DrClaude

Stephanus said:
Both hydrogens are 'close' to us. If we can say that.
Not sure what you mean here, but one hydrogen is closer to us than the oxygens, and one is farther away.

Stephanus said:
And if H2O is three atom, that makes it planar, 2D
Yes, with 3 atoms, you can always define a plane, except for linear molecules.

Stephanus said:
Then this Hydrogen peroxide perhaps is 3D?
All the atoms aren't in one plane, which is why you need the wedges to draw it in 2D.

Likes Stephanus
DrClaude said:
Not sure what you mean here, but one hydrogen is closer to us than the oxygens, and one is farther away.
Yes, yes. I understand. All this time, I've never taken a glance at chemistry. I've never realized the molecule could be cubed or perhaps tetrahedron (dodecahedron??). Should have taken just 5 minutes to ponder it myself to realize it.
DrClaude said:
Yes, with 3 atoms, you can always define a plane, except for linear molecules.
Yes! Mathematic principle?
DrClaude said:
All the atoms aren't in one plane, which is why you need the wedges to draw it in 2D.
Ok.
Thank you very much DrClaude

Stephanus said:
Yes! Mathematic principle?
Yes. Three non-colinear points define a plane.

1. What are antioxidants and free radicals?

Antioxidants are molecules that can prevent or slow damage to cells caused by free radicals. Free radicals are unstable atoms that can damage cells and lead to aging and disease.

2. How do antioxidants and free radicals interact in the body?

Antioxidants neutralize free radicals by donating one of their own electrons, stabilizing the free radical and preventing it from causing damage to cells.

3. What is the bond symbol for antioxidants and free radicals?

The bond symbol for antioxidants and free radicals is a single line with a dot on one end. This represents the transfer of an electron from the antioxidant to the free radical.

4. How do antioxidants help prevent diseases?

Free radicals can damage cells and lead to diseases such as cancer, heart disease, and Alzheimer's. Antioxidants help prevent these diseases by neutralizing free radicals and protecting cells from damage.

5. Where can antioxidants be found?

Antioxidants are found in many fruits and vegetables, as well as in nuts, seeds, and whole grains. They can also be taken as supplements, but it is generally recommended to get antioxidants from whole foods.