Understanding pH Calculations for a Buffer Solution

In summary, the Henderson-Hasselbach equation can be used to find the pH of a buffer solution, where the pKa value is known. For the given mixture of 500ml of .1 M HC3H5O2 and 500 ml of .1 M NaC3H5O2, the pH can be calculated to be 4.89 using the equation pH = pKa + log10 [salt]/[acid], where pKa = -log10 (1.3 x 10^-5). This is an acidic buffer solution.
jaredmt

Homework Statement

A mixture containing 500ml of .1 M HC3H5O2 (acetic acid) and 500 ml of .1 M NaC3H5O2

what is the pH?

Homework Equations

can someone walk me through this? i know the answer is 4.89 but I am not sure how to get that. I am not even entirely sure how to set up the equation

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried this to start, but not sure if its right:
notations:
wa = weak acid
sa = strong acid
wb = weak base
sb = strong base
n = neutral

-wa----sb-------wb-----n
HAc + NaOH <> NaAc + H20

even if this is right, I am not sure where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you studied the Henderson-Hasselbach equation?

Just curious but are you provided with the Ka (acid dissociation constant) value for HC3H5O2?

For this case it's [salt] over [acid] (with Henderson-Hasselbach equation). Notice the acidic buffer there.

o sorry, the Ka = 1.3 x 10^-5
and yes we were taught the enderson-Hasselbach technique

i wish i could edit that into the 1st post but w/e

jaredmt said:
o sorry, the Ka = 1.3 x 10^-5
and yes we were taught the enderson-Hasselbach technique

i wish i could edit that into the 1st post but w/e
Ooooo and I'm wondering why I can't find that vital piece of information. The Ka means everything. Use this equation:

pH = pKa + log10 [salt]/[acid]

pKa = -log10 (Ka)

It's that simple =) Try it out!

You don't even have to write out the equation. NaC3H5O2 is the salt and HC3H5O2 is the acid. What you do need to know is that this is an acidic buffer solution.

Last edited:
ah ok that was easier than i thought, thanks

1. What is a buffer in chemistry?

A buffer is a solution that resists changes in pH when small amounts of an acid or base are added. It is made up of a weak acid and its conjugate base, or a weak base and its conjugate acid.

2. Why are buffers important in chemistry?

Buffers are important in chemistry because they help maintain a stable pH in a solution. This is crucial for many biological processes and industrial applications.

3. How do buffers work?

Buffers work by neutralizing any added acid or base through the equilibrium reaction between the weak acid and its conjugate base. This keeps the pH of the solution relatively constant.

4. What is the pH scale?

The pH scale is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It ranges from 0 to 14, with 7 being neutral. Solutions with a pH less than 7 are considered acidic, while solutions with a pH greater than 7 are considered basic.

5. How do you calculate the pH of a buffer solution?

The pH of a buffer solution can be calculated using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation: pH = pKa + log([conjugate base]/[weak acid]). The pKa is the dissociation constant of the weak acid, and the concentrations of the conjugate base and weak acid can be determined from the initial concentrations and the equilibrium expression.