1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry Complex Problem

1. Sep 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ethylene diamine tetra-acetic acid (EDTA) is a water-soluble compound that readily combines with metals, such as calcium, magnesium, and iron. The molecular formula for EDTA is C10N2O8H16. Assume one EDTA molecule complexes (associates with) one metal atom.

A factory produces an aqueous waste that contains 20 mg/L calcium and collects the waste in 44-gallon drums. What mass of EDTA would be need to be added to each drum to completely complex all of the calcium in the barrel.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm really not sure how to go about this one, i started off trying a few things but it ended up at a dead end....here's what I got so far:

0.02 g/L * 1 mol Ca / 40.078 g Ca * X mol EDTA / 1 mol Ca * 294.24 g EDTA / 1 mol EDTA

I realized this wasn't getting me any closer to an answer so that's why I'm asking for any help you guys can offer.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Calculate number of moles of Ca in 44 gallons.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook