Chemistry % composition question

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the identity of a metal in a certain hydroxide compound based on its oxygen percentage by mass. The person initially thought the metal was zinc, but realizes they need to use the exact oxygen percentage to get the correct answer.
ahhppull

Homework Statement

A certain metal hydroxide, M(OH)2, contains 32.8% oxygen by mass. What is the identity of the metal M?

Homework Equations

O = 16.00 g x2
H = 1.008 g x2

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that 1g = 1% of the mass because there are 32g of O and it composed of 32.8% of O. So then I thought it would be around 2% of H. Then I added 32.8% + 2% and subtracted it from 100%. This was supposely my answer. I thought it was Zinc and it was wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are not completely off, but you have to do your calculations using exact value of the oxygen percentage.

--

oh thanks...i got the right answer now

1. How do you calculate the percent composition of a compound?

To calculate the percent composition of a compound, you need to determine the molar mass of each element in the compound. Then, divide the molar mass of each element by the total molar mass of the compound and multiply by 100 to get the percent composition.

2. Why is percent composition important in chemistry?

Percent composition is important in chemistry because it allows us to determine the relative amounts of elements present in a compound. This information is crucial for understanding the properties and behavior of substances.

3. Can percent composition be used to identify a compound?

Yes, percent composition can be used to identify a compound. Each compound has a unique percent composition, so if you know the percent composition, you can determine the identity of the compound.

4. How does percent composition differ from empirical formula?

Percent composition refers to the relative amounts of elements in a compound, expressed as a percentage. Empirical formula, on the other hand, is the simplest whole number ratio of elements in a compound. Percent composition provides more detailed information about the composition of a compound compared to empirical formula.

5. Can percent composition change in a chemical reaction?

Yes, percent composition can change in a chemical reaction. In a chemical reaction, new compounds are formed with different percent compositions than the reactants. This is because the atoms rearrange themselves to form new compounds with different ratios of elements.