Solve Stoichiometry Problems with Chemistry: Al & Cl2

• Thread starter PrudensOptimus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the conversation discusses a stoichiometry problem in chemistry involving the combination of 5 moles of Cl with Al to produce AlCl2. However, there is confusion over the charge of Al and the correct equation to use. The conversation also touches on the use of subscripts and the availability of using Latex or Itex for formatting.
PrudensOptimus
Chemistry! Diee!

A few stoicheometry problem,.. I really feel like a noob in chem:(

A chemist has 5 mol of Cl that combines w/ Al, how many moles of solid Al Chloride is produced?

First, I set up balance eq.

5 mol Cl2 + Al ---> AlCl2

Then by ratio, 5:1, so i got 1 mole of AlCl2 is produced. Pretty sure I made a mistake. Someone help pls. (BTW, how do you determine which charge to use for Al?)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The equation for the reaction between Cl2 and Al is as follows,

3Cl2 + 2Al ---> 2AlCl3 (Ionic, Al has a 3+ charge, and Cl has a 1- charge)

So 3 moles of Cl2 will react to produce 2 moles of AlCl3. Therefore if 5 mol of Cl2 is used to begin with, 3.33333 (10/3) mol of AlCl3 will be produced.

I may have made a stupid mistake somewhere. If so don't blame me, I have a hangover :smile:

Edit: How did you make the subscript numbers?

Last edited:
When does Al have 4 charge?

subscripts are [ sub ] [ /sub ]

with no spaces.

Al has a 3+ charge because in order to get into the nearest noble gas configuration (1s2, 2s2, 2p6), it needs to lose 3 electrons. Theoretically it could indeed have a 4+ charge, but it would not be energetically favourable, therefore it is not likely to occur under normal conditions.

Originally posted by sven222

Edit: How did you make the subscript numbers?

You can also now Use Latex. Click on the image to see the code in a pop-up window.

[tex]3Cl_2+2Al \longrightarrow 2AlCl_3[/tex]

Using the sub /sub flags in normal text can achieve much the same, but this looks cooler :wink:

Originally posted by Another God

You said you have 5 mols of Cl. You actually do mean Cl and not Cl2 right?
The ratio of Cl to AlCl3 is 6:2 or 3:1. So the ratio of AlCl3 to Cl is 1:3

1AlCl3/3Cl * 5Cl = 1.66666 mols AlCl3

Originally posted by ShawnD
You said you have 5 mols of Cl. You actually do mean Cl and not Cl2 right?
The ratio of Cl to AlCl3 is 6:2 or 3:1. So the ratio of AlCl3 to Cl is 1:3

1AlCl3/3Cl * 5Cl = 1.66666 mols AlCl3

The question didnt really give enough info. I was assuming it meant Cl gas, in which case it is Cl2. It may have meant Cl in the ionic form however, in which case you would be correct. From the info he gave though, it sounds as if it is meant to be in the gas, or Cl2, form. And also, he has Cl2 in his original post (in the equation).

Another God: Thanks, very nifty tool. Working out the commands now :)

Last edited:
Originally posted by Another God
You can also now Use Latex. Click on the image to see the code in a pop-up window.

Using the sub /sub flags in normal text can achieve much the same, but this looks cooler :wink:
It will look even better if you use itex instead of tex tags:

[itex]3Cl_2+2Al \longrightarrow 2AlCl_3[/itex]

It decreases the font and thus allows it to put inline.

Last edited:

1. What is stoichiometry and why is it important in chemistry?

Stoichiometry is the calculation of the quantities of reactants and products involved in a chemical reaction. It is important because it allows us to predict the amount of product that will be formed from a given amount of reactants, and vice versa. This is crucial in understanding and controlling chemical reactions.

2. How do I determine the limiting reagent in a stoichiometry problem?

The limiting reagent is the reactant that is completely consumed in a chemical reaction, limiting the amount of product that can be formed. To determine the limiting reagent, you need to compare the amount of each reactant to the stoichiometric ratio in the balanced chemical equation. The reactant with the smallest ratio is the limiting reagent.

3. What is the mole ratio and how do I use it in stoichiometry calculations?

The mole ratio is the ratio of moles of one substance to another in a balanced chemical equation. It is used to convert between the amounts of different substances involved in a chemical reaction. To use it in stoichiometry calculations, you simply multiply the given amount of a substance by the mole ratio to determine the amount of another substance involved.

4. How do I balance a chemical equation for a stoichiometry problem?

To balance a chemical equation, you need to ensure that the number of atoms of each element on the reactant side is equal to the number on the product side. This is done by adjusting the coefficients (numbers in front of each substance) until the equation is balanced. It is important to have a balanced equation in stoichiometry calculations to accurately determine the amounts of reactants and products.

5. Can you provide an example of a stoichiometry problem with Al and Cl2?

Sure! Let's say we have the following balanced chemical equation: 2Al + 3Cl2 → 2AlCl3. If we have 5 moles of Al, how many moles of Cl2 are needed for complete reaction?

First, we need to determine the mole ratio of Al to Cl2, which is 2:3. Then, we can set up a proportion: (5 moles Al / 2 moles Al) = (x moles Cl2 / 3 moles Cl2). Solving for x, we get 7.5 moles of Cl2 needed. This shows that Cl2 is the limiting reagent, as we have more than enough Al to react with it (5 moles of Al would require 2.5 moles of Cl2, but we have 7.5 moles available).