1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry. Effusion

1. Feb 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

One percent of a measured amount of chlorine gas escapes through a tiny hole in 33 sec. One percent of a unknown gas escapes under the same conditions in 75.2 sec. Calculate the molar mass of the unknown gas in g/mol.

I cant seem to figure out how to do this so if some one could help i would be very appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2009 #2

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

By now I have to say this. Sometimes students come here with intriguing problems that are not trivial to solve, sometimes they come and have got something confused which others here can help get straightened out, and so on, a variety of problems. But I do have to wonder at those who come here with perfectly standard problems that cannot have arisen out of the blue and say they have no idea where to start. Where to start is probably in a very recent lesson or book chapter. Have you had a recent lesson or where you are in a textbook mentioning effusion or anything sounding like that? Involving movement of gases from somewhere to somewhere else?

And failing that, do you know the equipartition principle? That the average translational kinetic energy per molecule of two gases under the same conditions will be the same? Then do you know the formula for kinetic energy? Put these ideas together. If you manage to get a convincing answer out of this then do not rest content with it but revise the underlying principles like kinetic energy and equipartition which will then fix in your mind. :smile:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook