1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry Electronic Configuration

1. Dec 29, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Explain why copper(II) is the more common oxidation state than copper (I) by giving the electronic configurations of the ions involved.

3. The attempt at a solution
    i've considered about the configurations of Cu+ and Cu2+ but the result seems to contradict the fact.
    Base on the configuration, Cu2+ should be readily reduced to Cu+,so Cu+ should be the more common oxidation state in this regard.
    Please help correct mistakes i've make, or did i think in a wrong way?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Dec 29, 2006 #3
    so now the new configuration is
    Cu+:3d^8 4s^2
    Cu2+:3d^7 4s^2
    cu2+ has 3 unpaired 3d electrons whereas Cu+ has 2 unpaired electrons, in theory the unpaired electrons in Cu2+ will repelled from the inner electrons and thus more unstable?
  5. Dec 30, 2006 #4
    well i find that the original configuration i proposed should be correct since the atom tends to retain the extra stability of fully filled 3d subshell.....
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?