Chemistry Electronic Configuration

In summary, the electronic configurations of Cu+ and Cu2+ suggest that Cu+ should be the more common oxidation state due to its more stable configuration. However, further analysis shows that Cu2+ actually has a higher number of unpaired electrons, making it more unstable and less likely to occur. This contradiction can be resolved by reassessing the electronic configurations.
chriswwt

Homework Statement

Explain why copper(II) is the more common oxidation state than copper (I) by giving the electronic configurations of the ions involved.

The Attempt at a Solution

i've considered about the configurations of Cu+ and Cu2+ but the result seems to contradict the fact.
Cu+:[Ar]3d^10
Cu2+:[ar]3d^9
Base on the configuration, Cu2+ should be readily reduced to Cu+,so Cu+ should be the more common oxidation state in this regard.
Please help correct mistakes I've make, or did i think in a wrong way?
thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
so now the new configuration is
Cu+:3d^8 4s^2
Cu2+:3d^7 4s^2
cu2+ has 3 unpaired 3d electrons whereas Cu+ has 2 unpaired electrons, in theory the unpaired electrons in Cu2+ will repelled from the inner electrons and thus more unstable?

well i find that the original configuration i proposed should be correct since the atom tends to retain the extra stability of fully filled 3d subshell...

What is electronic configuration in chemistry?

Electronic configuration in chemistry refers to the arrangement of electrons in an atom, molecule, or ion. It describes the distribution of electrons among the energy levels and orbitals within an atom.

How do you determine the electronic configuration of an atom?

The electronic configuration of an atom can be determined by using the Aufbau principle, which states that electrons fill the lowest energy levels first before moving to higher energy levels. The electronic configuration can also be determined by using the periodic table and knowing the number of electrons in each energy level.

What is the significance of electronic configuration?

The electronic configuration of an atom determines its chemical and physical properties. It determines the reactivity and stability of an element, as well as its ability to form bonds with other elements. The electronic configuration also helps in predicting the location of elements in the periodic table.

What is the difference between valence electrons and core electrons?

Valence electrons are the electrons in the outermost energy level of an atom, while core electrons are the electrons in the inner energy levels. Valence electrons are involved in chemical bonding and determining an element's reactivity, while core electrons are more tightly bound to the nucleus and have less influence on the element's chemical properties.

How does electron configuration affect an atom's chemical behavior?

The electron configuration of an atom determines how easily it can lose, gain, or share electrons with other atoms. This affects an atom's ability to form bonds and react with other elements, ultimately determining its chemical behavior and properties.