1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry: Electroplating

1. Jun 11, 2005 #1
    I have a question about electroplating a metal object with copper.

Since CuSO4 is normally poured in after the power source is connected, what might happen if it is poured in before? Would there be some sort of short-circuit happening or would it just cause the whole experiment to fail?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2005 #2
    well i have never haerd of adding it after. i have eletroplated with copper before and i had a super satrated sultion of copper sulfate i tricked my friend pretty goodwith the mint condistion weate back penny made in 1943 (he was vary goleble)

4. Jun 11, 2005 #3

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree. Won't pouring it AFTER the voltage is applied create a shock hazard? You know, if your fingers are wet, and you touch the liquid as you're pouring it, the voltage will run UP the flow and into your hands. And also, I've plated a bunch of time in College. The solutions were always ready to go when the voltage was applied.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2005
  5. Jun 11, 2005 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Second (third ?) that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?