1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry Energy Problems

1. Mar 3, 2005 #1
    Hello all, this question is really simple but I still seem to get it.

A 50.0 mL sample of 0.500 mol/L [tex] MgSO_4 [/tex] solution at 24.4 degrees celsius is added to 50.0 mL of a 0.500 mol/L [tex] Ba(NO_3)_2 [/tex] solution at 24.4 degrees celsius. The temperature of the mixture rises to 26.3 degrees celsius. Calculate the heat of reaction.

I tried using [tex] mc\triangle{t} + mc\triangle{t} [/tex] but there is no specific heat capacity for either of the compounds. I'm guessing the formula [tex] \triangle{H}=nH [/tex] fits in somewhere but I don't know where. Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2005 #2

Science Advisor

The ΔH is determined from the WATER temperature change using {c = 4.184 J/goC} for water:
    {Water Mass} = (50 g) + (50 g) = (100 g)
    {Water ΔT} = (26.3) - (24.4) = (+1.9 oC)
    {Heat Energy Released} = (100)*(1.9)*(4.184) = (795 J) = (0.795 kJ)

Heat of reaction is generally expressed relative to the primary reactant's mole number, so we use [tex] MgSO_4 [/tex]:
    {Moles [tex] MgSO_4 [/tex]} = (50.0 mL)*(0.500 mol/L) = (0.025 moles)

{Heat of Reaction} = -(0.795 kJ)/(0.025 moles) = (-31.8 kJ/mole)

(Note: Exothermic reactions are by convention expressed with (-)values.)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  4. Mar 4, 2005 #3
    Got it. Thanks for the help.
  5. Mar 4, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You may need to also employ [itex]q_{calorimter}[/itex]. If you were not required to do so, than just ignore.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?