Finding Heat of Reaction for MgSO4 and Ba(NO3)2 Solution Mixture

In summary, the conversation discussed a simple question about calculating the heat of reaction for a chemical reaction involving MgSO_4 and Ba(NO_3)_2 solutions. The approach involved using the specific heat capacity of water and the moles of MgSO_4 to determine the heat of reaction, which was found to be -31.8 kJ/mol. The use of q_calorimeter may also be necessary depending on the requirements of the question.
erik05
Hello all, this question is really simple but I still seem to get it.

A 50.0 mL sample of 0.500 mol/L [tex] MgSO_4 [/tex] solution at 24.4 degrees celsius is added to 50.0 mL of a 0.500 mol/L [tex] Ba(NO_3)_2 [/tex] solution at 24.4 degrees celsius. The temperature of the mixture rises to 26.3 degrees celsius. Calculate the heat of reaction.

I tried using [tex] mc\triangle{t} + mc\triangle{t} [/tex] but there is no specific heat capacity for either of the compounds. I'm guessing the formula [tex] \triangle{H}=nH [/tex] fits in somewhere but I don't know where. Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
erik05 said:
Hello all, this question is really simple but I still seem to get it.

A 50.0 mL sample of 0.500 mol/L [tex] MgSO_4 [/tex] solution at 24.4 degrees celsius is added to 50.0 mL of a 0.500 mol/L [tex] Ba(NO_3)_2 [/tex] solution at 24.4 degrees celsius. The temperature of the mixture rises to 26.3 degrees celsius. Calculate the heat of reaction.

I tried using [tex] mc\triangle{t} + mc\triangle{t} [/tex] but there is no specific heat capacity for either of the compounds. I'm guessing the formula [tex] \triangle{H}=nH [/tex] fits in somewhere but I don't know where. Any hints or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
The ΔH is determined from the WATER temperature change using {c = 4.184 J/goC} for water:
{Water Mass} = (50 g) + (50 g) = (100 g)
{Water ΔT} = (26.3) - (24.4) = (+1.9 oC)
{Heat Energy Released} = (100)*(1.9)*(4.184) = (795 J) = (0.795 kJ)

Heat of reaction is generally expressed relative to the primary reactant's mole number, so we use [tex] MgSO_4 [/tex]:
{Moles [tex] MgSO_4 [/tex]} = (50.0 mL)*(0.500 mol/L) = (0.025 moles)

{Heat of Reaction} = -(0.795 kJ)/(0.025 moles) = (-31.8 kJ/mole)

(Note: Exothermic reactions are by convention expressed with (-)values.)

~~

Last edited:
Got it. Thanks for the help.

You may need to also employ [itex]q_{calorimter}[/itex]. If you were not required to do so, than just ignore.

What is the definition of energy in chemistry?

In chemistry, energy is defined as the capacity of a system to do work or produce heat.

What are the different types of energy in chemistry?

There are several types of energy in chemistry, including chemical energy, thermal energy, electromagnetic energy, and nuclear energy.

How is energy involved in chemical reactions?

Chemical reactions involve the breaking and forming of chemical bonds, which requires the input or release of energy. This energy can come from various sources, such as heat, electricity, or light.

How do you calculate the energy change in a chemical reaction?

The energy change in a chemical reaction can be calculated using the equation ΔH = H(products) - H(reactants), where ΔH is the change in enthalpy and H is the enthalpy of the products and reactants.

What are some common energy problems in chemistry?

Some common energy problems in chemistry include calculating the energy change in a reaction, determining the energy required to break a bond, and predicting the energy released during a combustion reaction.