1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry Enthalpy Question

1. Mar 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine the standard enthalpy change for the reaction below.

4NH3 + 3O2 --> 2N2 + 6H2O

Given:
    Standard heat of formation of NH3: -45.9 kJ/mol

Standard heat of formation of H2O: -285.83 kJ/mol

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I had this question on a quiz and got points taken off, but I can't figure out why. Here's my solution:

{ (6 x -285.83 kJ/mol) + (2 x 0) } - { (3 x 0) + (4 x -45.9 kJ/mol)} = -1531 kJ/mol

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2009 #2

alxm

Science Advisor

Because the standard heat of formation of gaseous water is -241.826 kJ/mol.
    I'm not sure where you got the -285.83 from, but I believe it's the liquid value.

4. Mar 13, 2009 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Reaction (as entered) doesn't state whether it should be gaseous or liquid water. My thermo is somewhat rusty, but isn't standard state of water liquid?

5. Mar 13, 2009 #4

alxm

Science Advisor

It is. But it wouldn't be wrong then! :)

I assumed the gas-phase states since, well, it's a gas-phase reaction.
    If the problem was stated without specifying H2O (l) or H2O (g) then either would be correct, depending on whether you mean the 'standard enthalpy' in the strict sense, or the 'reaction enthalpy at standard pressure and temperature'.

6. Mar 13, 2009 #5

Borek

There is always a slight possibility that there was a mistake in the test :smile:

7. Mar 15, 2009 #6
    Just to clarify, the reaction was wriiten without states in the problem, and there were no states specified in the heat of formation given either.

Was I supposed to divide the value I got by four?

8. Mar 15, 2009 #7

Borek

That would be enthalpy change for a mole of ammonia, not for the reaction as written. I am not sure if there exeist some precise convention, I have seen it discussed (without any decisive conclusions) by chemistry teachers.

9. Mar 15, 2009 #8
    Yeah, I always thought you didn't divide by anything when it was for an actual reaction. It wouldn't make sense here because it doesn't specify per mole of ammonia vs. per mole of oxygen.

Anyways, thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook