How Do You Solve Enthalpy Cycle Problems in Chemistry?

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with drawing an enthalpy cycle for a homework assignment. They ask for help and mention that they believe they have made a mistake in their previous attempt. They are then asked to describe what they have drawn so far.
yecko
Gold Member

Homework Statement

rNoD3Lm.png

http://i.imgur.com/rNoD3Lm.png

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy in an enthalpy cycle

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't complete draw the enthalpy cycle!
l50630IMG_4306s76.jpg

http://upload.lsforum.net/users/public/l50630IMG_4306s76.jpg

Can anyone help me? Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's an enthalpy cycle?

Chestermiller said:
What's an enthalpy cycle?
That means the enthalpy changing route
like what i have written for this question... but i believe i have done something wrong in that... because that doesn't seem to form the product as mentioned in the required chemical equation

Draw an arrow from top left to bottom right. What have you got?

1. What is enthalpy change?

Enthalpy change is the difference in energy between the reactants and the products in a chemical reaction. It is also known as heat of reaction.

2. How is enthalpy change measured?

Enthalpy change is measured in units of joules (J) or kilojoules (kJ). It can be measured using a calorimeter, which is a device that measures the temperature change of a reaction.

3. What factors affect enthalpy change?

The factors that affect enthalpy change include the type of reaction, the temperature, the concentration of reactants, and the pressure. The physical state of the reactants and products can also have an impact.

4. How is enthalpy change related to bond energies?

Enthalpy change is related to bond energies because breaking and forming chemical bonds requires energy. When bonds are broken, energy is absorbed, resulting in a positive enthalpy change. When bonds are formed, energy is released, resulting in a negative enthalpy change.

5. Can enthalpy change be negative?

Yes, enthalpy change can be negative. A negative enthalpy change indicates that energy is released during the reaction, resulting in a decrease in enthalpy. This often occurs in exothermic reactions, where heat is given off.