Chemistry - equation problem

• Thread starter JPC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, a chemical equation is a symbolic representation of a chemical reaction that shows the reactants and products involved and their relative amounts. To balance a chemical equation, the number of atoms of each element must be equal on both sides, which is achieved by adding coefficients. The law of conservation of mass states that matter cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction, and the total mass of the reactants must equal the total mass of the products. A chemical equation is considered balanced if the number of atoms of each element is equal and the total charge of the reactants equals the total charge of the products. There are five main types of chemical reactions: synthesis, decomposition, single displacement, double displacement, and combustion, each with different characteristics and
JPC

Homework Statement

1) ok , first we have a solution of :
MnO2, C6H5COO- , OH-

we add Hydrochloric acid, the following reactions happen :
OH- + H3O+ = H2O
C6H5COO- + H3O+ = C6H5COOH + H2O

ok , now we are told that if we put in more Hydrochloric acid than needed, CO2 gas escapes, a question asks me for the equations of the reactions that produce this CO2

I am just told these Acid/Base couples :
HCO3- / CO3-2
CO2, H2O / HCO3-

2) No, with the same solution, with Hydrochloric acid being introduced in about the right proportions, we add a solution of (2Na+ +SO3-2)
Here, another question asks me for the equation of the reaction between MnO2 and SO2,H20

Here i am just told these Red/Ox couples :
MnO2 / Mn+2
SO3-2 / SO2, H2O

The Reaction environment is acid

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1)
the semi equations :
HCO3- = CO3-2 + H+
CO2 + H2O = HCO3- + H+C6H5COOH + H3O(+) = C6H5 + CO3-2 + 3H+ + H (cannot be H alone so * 2) :
2C6H5COOH + 2H3O(+) = 2C6H5 + 2CO3-2 + 6H+ + H2

then
CO3-2 + H+ = HCO3-
then
HCO3- + H+ = H2O + CO2

(here, I am really not sure of my equations,and the paper doesn't even tell me that H2 gas escapes)2) The semi equations :

MnO2 + 4H+ 2e- = Mn+2 + 2H2O

SO3-2 + 2H+ = SO2 + H2O (no e- in the reactions !, how can it be an Ox/red reaction then ?)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

SO2 + H2O + 2e- = SO3-2 + 2H+

Overall reaction:
MnO2 + SO2 + 2H2O + 2H+ = Mn+2 + SO3-2 + 4H+ + 2e-

In this reaction, the MnO2 is acting as an oxidizing agent, while the SO2 is acting as a reducing agent. The overall reaction is an oxidation-reduction (redox) reaction.

For the first problem, the equations you have written are mostly correct. However, the final equation should be:
HCO3- + H+ = H2O + CO2

This is because in the original problem, we are told that CO2 gas escapes when excess Hydrochloric acid is added. So, the final equation should show CO2 as a product.

For the second problem, you are correct that there are no electrons involved in the reaction between SO3-2 and H+. This is because this is not a redox reaction. The red/ox couples given in the problem are not relevant to this particular reaction. The equation for the reaction between MnO2 and SO2, H2O would be:
MnO2 + SO2 + 4H+ = Mn+2 + SO3-2 + 2H2O

This reaction is taking place in an acidic environment, so the H+ ions are needed to balance the charges on both sides of the equation. The SO2 gas is produced as a product, which is why it is important to have the correct proportions of H+ ions in the solution.

What is a chemical equation?

A chemical equation is a symbolic representation of a chemical reaction, showing the reactants and products involved and the relative amounts of each substance.

How do you balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, you need to make sure that the number of atoms of each element is equal on both sides of the equation. This is done by adding coefficients to the reactants and products.

What is the law of conservation of mass?

The law of conservation of mass states that matter cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction, only rearranged into different combinations. Therefore, the total mass of the reactants must equal the total mass of the products.

How do you know if a chemical equation is balanced?

A chemical equation is balanced if the number of atoms of each element is equal on both sides of the equation. Additionally, the total charge of the reactants must equal the total charge of the products if there are any ions involved.

What are the different types of chemical reactions?

The five main types of chemical reactions are synthesis, decomposition, single displacement, double displacement, and combustion. These reactions involve different combinations of reactants and products and have different characteristics and outcomes.