(chemistry) equilibrium constent

In summary, the equilibrium constants Kc and Kp will always be equal to each other when the number of moles of gaseous products is equal to the number of moles of gaseous reactants in the reaction equation. This is also true when the total number of moles of reactants is equal to that of the products. Additionally, temperature does not affect the equilibrium constant, as it will remain the same regardless of the concentrations of products and reactants.
ada0713
The two equilibrium constants for the same reaction Kc and Kp will always equal one another when:

1) all of the reactant and products are gases
2) In the reaction equation, the number of moles of gaseous product is smaller than the number of moles of gaseous reactants.
3) In the reaction equation, the number of moles of gaseous product is greater than the number of moles of gaseous reactants.
4) In the reaction equation, to total number of moles of reactants equal that of the products
5) in the reaction equation, the number of moles of gaseous products equals the number of gaseous reactants.

==============================
above is the question..
I thought that the equilibrium constant changes only when temperature is added
to the system. No matter how much products or reactant you add to the system
the equilibrium constant will stay the same (the actual concentration changes,
adjusting to have same equilibrium constant as before)

None of the answer choices looks correct. I' pretty sure that #1 is wrong, but
other stuff I'm all confused. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone help me with this?

never mind I think i have the answer

Did it involve finding when this equality must be true? [tex]Kp = Kc(RT)^{delta n}[/tex]

1. What is the equilibrium constant in chemistry?

The equilibrium constant in chemistry is a measure of the ratio of products to reactants at equilibrium for a chemical reaction. It is denoted by the symbol K and is determined by the concentrations of the products and reactants at equilibrium.

2. How is the equilibrium constant calculated?

The equilibrium constant is calculated by taking the ratio of the concentrations of the products to the concentrations of the reactants, with each concentration raised to the power of its coefficient in the balanced chemical equation. The resulting value is then multiplied by any coefficients that are necessary to balance the equation.

3. What does the equilibrium constant tell us about a reaction?

The equilibrium constant tells us about the extent to which a reaction will proceed towards products at equilibrium. A higher equilibrium constant indicates a greater proportion of products at equilibrium, while a lower equilibrium constant indicates a greater proportion of reactants at equilibrium.

4. How does temperature affect the equilibrium constant?

Temperature can affect the equilibrium constant in two ways. First, changing the temperature can shift the equilibrium of a reaction, resulting in a different equilibrium constant. Second, the value of the equilibrium constant itself can change with temperature, as some reactions are more exothermic or endothermic at different temperatures.

5. Can the equilibrium constant be greater than 1?

Yes, the equilibrium constant can be any positive value, including values greater than 1. A value greater than 1 indicates a higher proportion of products at equilibrium, while a value less than 1 indicates a higher proportion of reactants at equilibrium.