Chemistry Equilibrium ICE tables

In summary, a conversation discussing a chemical reaction and its equilibrium constant at a certain temperature leads to the question of finding the equilibrium concentration of one of the reactants. An attempt to solve the problem results in a cubic equation, which can be solved by guessing a solution, plotting the equation, or using a cubic formula. The solution can also be approximated by assuming that the amount of the reactant used up is much smaller than the initial concentration.
Coco12

Homework Statement

consider the following reaction: 2H2O(i) <-> 2H2(g) + O2(g)

kc=7.3*10^-18 at 1000oC

The initial concentration of water in a reaction vessel is 0.055 mol/L. What is the equilibrium concentration of H2(g) at 1000oC?

Homework Equations

h20 h2 02
I 0.055 0 0
C -2x +2x +x
E0.055-2x 2x x

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation I got is:

-4x^3+2.92*(10^-17) x^2 -1.606*(10^-18) x +2.20825*10^-20 =0

How do I solve it if it is a cubic function?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. You can guess a solution.
2. You can plot the equation and use that to estimate a solution, which can be refined with iteration.
3. You can use the cubic formula, which is much more involved than 1. or 2.

Given the relative magnitudes of the coefficients, roundoff will be a problem in evaluating possible solutions.

Coco12 said:

Homework Statement

consider the following reaction: 2H2O(i) <-> 2H2(g) + O2(g)

kc=7.3*10^-18 at 1000oC

The initial concentration of water in a reaction vessel is 0.055 mol/L. What is the equilibrium concentration of H2(g) at 1000oC?

Homework Equations

h20 h2 02
I 0.055 0 0
C -2x +2x +x
E0.055-2x 2x x

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation I got is:

-4x^3+2.92*(10^-17) x^2 -1.606*(10^-18) x +2.20825*10^-20 =0

How do I solve it if it is a cubic function?
Assume that x amount of H2O gets used up. x amount of H2 and x/2 amount of O2 is formed.

You can assume that x is far smaller than 0.055. So you get the following equilibrium expression:

$$K_{eq}=\frac{(x)^2(x/2)}{(0.055)^2}$$

The assumption is based on the fact that the equilibrium constant is in powers of 10^(-13).

Last edited:
In my ice tables I used 2x but u used 1/2x.. Did I do it right?

You have chosen different substance for x, so your have different equations, They should be equivalent though.

Ok thanks

1. What is an ICE table in chemistry equilibrium?

An ICE table is a tool used to organize and calculate the concentrations of species involved in a chemical equilibrium reaction. It stands for Initial concentrations, Change in concentrations, and Equilibrium concentrations.

2. How do you set up an ICE table for a chemical equilibrium problem?

To set up an ICE table, first write out the balanced chemical equation for the reaction. Then, list the initial concentrations of all species involved in the reactants and products. Next, determine the change in concentration for each species based on the coefficients in the balanced equation. Finally, use the equilibrium constant expression to calculate the equilibrium concentrations of each species.

3. What is the purpose of an ICE table in solving equilibrium problems?

The purpose of an ICE table is to organize and simplify the calculations involved in solving equilibrium problems. It allows you to keep track of initial and equilibrium concentrations, as well as the changes that occur during the reaction, making it easier to solve for unknown concentrations and determine the direction of the reaction.

4. Can an ICE table be used for all types of equilibrium reactions?

Yes, an ICE table can be used for all types of equilibrium reactions, including acid-base, solubility, and gas-phase reactions. However, the setup and calculations may vary slightly depending on the specific type of equilibrium being studied.

5. How do you determine the direction of a reaction using an ICE table?

The direction of a reaction can be determined by comparing the equilibrium concentrations of the reactants and products in an ICE table. If the equilibrium concentration of a product is greater than its initial concentration, the reaction is proceeding in the forward direction. If the equilibrium concentration of a reactant is greater than its initial concentration, the reaction is proceeding in the reverse direction.