Kc = 1.88 for 2HI(g) ↔ H2(g) + I2(g)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of Kc for the reaction H2(g) + I2(g) ↔ 2HI(g) using the given Kc value of 1.37 for the reaction HI(g) ↔ 1/2 H2(g) + 1/2 I2(g). The solution involves using ice tables and finding a relation between the two Kc values in order to solve for the new Kc value.
Madelin Pierce

Homework Statement

Kc = 1.37 for HI(g) ↔ 1/2 H2(g) + 1/2 I2(g). What is Kc (to 3 decimal places) for H2(g) + I2(g) ↔ 2HI(g)?

Homework Equations

Kc= Products/Reactants, Ice Tables

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried an ice table, but I’m not sure what to do with the Kc value I’m given when I have to another Kc value

Physics news on Phys.org
$$K_{c_1} = 1.37 = \dfrac{[H_2]^{1/2} [I_2]^{1/2}}{[HI]}$$ and $$K_{c_2} = \dfrac{[HI]^2}{[H_2][I_2]}$$ Can you find a relation between ##K_{c_1}## and ##K_{c_2}##?

Likes Chestermiller
I know the reaction reversed and doubled. But I don’t know how to solve for Kc mathematically with this set-up.

Madelin Pierce said:
But I don’t know how to solve for Kc mathematically with this set-up.
What maths are you referring to? If you can find ##K_{c_2}## in terms of ##K_{c_1}##, then can't you find ##K_{c_2}##?

Madelin Pierce said:
I know the reaction reversed and doubled. But I don’t know how to solve for Kc mathematically with this set-up.
What do you get if you square @Wrichik Basu's first equation, and then multiply it by his second equation.

1. What does the value of Kc = 1.88 indicate?

The value of Kc = 1.88 indicates the equilibrium constant for the reaction 2HI(g) ↔ H2(g) + I2(g). It represents the ratio of the concentrations of products to reactants at equilibrium, with a value greater than 1 indicating a higher concentration of products and a value less than 1 indicating a higher concentration of reactants.

2. How is Kc calculated for this reaction?

Kc is calculated by taking the concentration of the products, H2 and I2, and dividing it by the concentration of the reactant, HI, squared. This is based on the balanced equation for the reaction and the law of mass action.

3. What factors can affect the value of Kc?

The value of Kc can be affected by changes in temperature, pressure, and the initial concentrations of reactants and products. It can also be affected by the presence of a catalyst or changes in the volume of the reaction vessel.

4. How does a change in temperature affect the value of Kc?

A change in temperature can affect the value of Kc by shifting the equilibrium in either the forward or reverse direction. An increase in temperature will favor the endothermic reaction, while a decrease in temperature will favor the exothermic reaction. This can result in a change in the concentrations of reactants and products, and therefore a change in the value of Kc.

5. Can the value of Kc be used to predict the direction of the reaction?

Yes, the value of Kc can be used to predict the direction of the reaction. If Kc is greater than 1, the reaction will favor the products, and if Kc is less than 1, the reaction will favor the reactants. If Kc is equal to 1, the reaction is at equilibrium and there will be no net change in the concentrations of products and reactants.