Equilibrium Reactions: Which is Least Affected by Volume Change?

In summary, the equilibrium least affected by a change in volume is C, as it only involves one gas molecule on each side of the reaction. This is due to the Le Chatelier principle, where a decrease in volume will favor the side with less moles of gas. Therefore, if both sides have an equal number of gas molecules, changing the volume will not significantly affect the system.
moxy

Homework Statement

Which of the following equilibria is least affected by a change in the volume of the system?

A. 2 C (s) + O2 (g) = 2 CO (g)
B. 2 NO2 (g) = N2O4 (g)
C. H2 (g) + S (l) = H2S (g)
D. H2O (l) = H2O (g)
E. 2 NO (g) + Cl2 (g) = 2 NOCl (g)

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer is C, but I don't know why. I thought maybe it had something to do with the number of moles on each side of the reaction. As volume decreases, pressure increases, and the reactions will favor the side with the least number of moles. I know this is true, but perhaps it doesn't apply? This is a sample exam problem, and any hints as to how I should approach it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
This deals with the Le Chatelier principle.

A. 2 C (s) + O2 (g) = 2 CO (g)
B. 2 NO2 (g) = N2O4 (g)
C. H2 (g) + S (l) = H2S (g)
D. H2O (l) = H2O (g)
E. 2 NO (g) + Cl2 (g) = 2 NOCl (g)

Take A for example. If you increase the decrease the volume, the reaction will shift left, because there are less moles of gas on that side. The change in volume usually only affects gases. So if you were to have an equal number moles of gases on both sides of the reaction, changing the volume wouldn't really affect the system. I think the only key thing you're missing is moles of "gases."

Ah, you save the day again. The gas part went over my head. This makes perfect sense now. Thanks...again!

1. What is chemical equilibrium?

Chemical equilibrium is a state in which the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction. This means that the concentrations of reactants and products remain constant over time.

2. How is equilibrium affected by changes in temperature?

According to Le Chatelier's principle, an increase in temperature will favor the endothermic reaction and shift the equilibrium in that direction. Conversely, a decrease in temperature will favor the exothermic reaction and shift the equilibrium in that direction.

3. How do catalysts affect equilibrium?

Catalysts do not affect the position of equilibrium, but they can increase the rate of both the forward and reverse reactions. This means that equilibrium is reached faster, but the concentrations of reactants and products remain the same.

4. What is the difference between dynamic and static equilibrium?

Dynamic equilibrium involves both the forward and reverse reactions occurring at the same rate, while static equilibrium involves no reactions occurring at all. In chemistry, dynamic equilibrium is more commonly observed and studied.

5. How does the equilibrium constant relate to the concentrations of reactants and products?

The equilibrium constant, represented by K, is a ratio of the concentrations of products to the concentrations of reactants at equilibrium. It is a constant value for a given reaction at a specific temperature and can be used to determine the direction in which the reaction will proceed.