1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry exam question

1. Jun 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Incomplete combustion of C6H8, set up chart showing number of moles, molar mass and mass
    the propane is burned with 60% pure oxygen, the propane is collected over water at SATP

2. Relevant equations

n=m/M

3. The attempt at a solution
    How do I find the mass and number of moles if all I know is molar mass, and amount of propane and 60% pure oxygen?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Prepare table for 1 mole of propane.

4. Jun 15, 2009 #3

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It might help with your mole calculations to denote propane as C3H8 rather than C6H8.

I assume the question is asking you to determine the combustion product(s) for a gas mixture that contains 40% propane (collected over water) and 60% oxygen? Do you think that it might be necessary to account for the water vapor in this experiment? Remember that the propane was collected over water at STP. What is the vapor pressure of water at STP and how much of the propane gas is actually water vapor?

Hope it is helpful...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook