Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry Extended Essay Phosphorous

1. Aug 8, 2011 #1
    Okay, so I need urgent help on my chemistry extended essay. I am doing my extended essay on determining amounts of phosphorous in samples of water. Basically, im not using any lakes,river etc to test ways of determining it but im just using different PPM's of phosphorous to test if its an affective way of determining how much phosphorous is inside the water sample. Here is what I did:

Solution A: Dissolve 25 g ammonium molybdate, (NH4)6Mo7O24• H2O, in 300 ml distilled water.
    Solution B: Dissolve 1.25 g ammonium metavanadate, NH4VO3, by heating to boiling in
    300 mL distilled water. Cool and slowly add 330 mL concentrated HCl. Cool Solution B to room
    temperature.
    Pour Solution A into Solution B, mix, and dilute to 1 L. This solution will have a yellow color.

1. Prepare 100 mL of a 1-ppm standard by pipetting 1.00 mL of the 100-ppm P standard into a
    100-mL flask. Dilute to 100 mL with distilled water. Repeat this procedure to prepare
    3-, 5-, and 7-ppm standards.
    a. Pipet 10 mL of the 1-ppm standard into a 25.0-mL volumetric flask.
    b. Pipet 4.0 mL of the vanadate-molybdate reagent into this flask and dilute to 25 mL with
    distilled water. Mix thoroughly.
    c. Repeat with 3-, 5-, and 7-ppm standards.

Then I used the result to figure out how much the color changed with a colormiter. However, I dont really know where to go with my extended essay. In the introduction I could talk about how it harms our water because harmful algae will be formed. But then where do I go from there? Your help would be much appreciated. Because I have noo idea =(

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted