Chemistry Extended Essay Phosphorous

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with their chemistry extended essay on determining amounts of phosphorous in water samples. The student explains their methodology, which involves using different PPM's of phosphorous and a colorimeter to measure the color change. They are unsure of where to go with their essay and the expert suggests discussing the importance of understanding phosphorous levels in water, the methodology used, and potential improvements and implications of the findings. The expert also wishes the student good luck with their essay.
chemistry93
Okay, so I need urgent help on my chemistry extended essay. I am doing my extended essay on determining amounts of phosphorous in samples of water. Basically, I am not using any lakes,river etc to test ways of determining it but I am just using different PPM's of phosphorous to test if its an affective way of determining how much phosphorous is inside the water sample. Here is what I did:

Solution A: Dissolve 25 g ammonium molybdate, (NH4)6Mo7O24• H2O, in 300 ml distilled water.
Solution B: Dissolve 1.25 g ammonium metavanadate, NH4VO3, by heating to boiling in
300 mL distilled water. Cool and slowly add 330 mL concentrated HCl. Cool Solution B to room
temperature.
Pour Solution A into Solution B, mix, and dilute to 1 L. This solution will have a yellow color.

1. Prepare 100 mL of a 1-ppm standard by pipetting 1.00 mL of the 100-ppm P standard into a
100-mL flask. Dilute to 100 mL with distilled water. Repeat this procedure to prepare
3-, 5-, and 7-ppm standards.
a. Pipet 10 mL of the 1-ppm standard into a 25.0-mL volumetric flask.
b. Pipet 4.0 mL of the vanadate-molybdate reagent into this flask and dilute to 25 mL with
distilled water. Mix thoroughly.
c. Repeat with 3-, 5-, and 7-ppm standards.

Then I used the result to figure out how much the color changed with a colormiter. However, I don't really know where to go with my extended essay. In the introduction I could talk about how it harms our water because harmful algae will be formed. But then where do I go from there? Your help would be much appreciated. Because I have noo idea =(

Chemistry news on Phys.org
For your extended essay, you can start by discussing the importance of understanding phosphorous levels in water for maintaining a healthy water environment, and how it can be used to prevent or reduce algal blooms. Then, you can explain the methodology you used for determining phosphorous levels in water samples and discuss the results of your experiments. You could also discuss the limitations of this method and the potential for improvement. For example, you could talk about other methods that could be used to test for phosphorous levels in water, such as spectrophotometry or ion chromatography. You could also discuss ways to further improve the accuracy of your method, such as using different reagents or different concentrations of standards. Finally, you could discuss the implications of your findings. How can this method be used to effectively monitor phosphorous levels in water? What are the implications of higher or lower phosphorous levels in water? How can this information be used to help protect our aquatic environment? I hope this helps! Good luck with your extended essay!

1. What is phosphorus and why is it important in chemistry?

Phosphorus is a chemical element with the symbol P and atomic number 15. It is a non-metal and is essential for life as it is a key component in DNA, RNA, and ATP, which are all crucial for cellular functioning.

2. What are some potential research topics for a Chemistry Extended Essay on phosphorus?

Some potential research topics could include the properties and reactions of different phosphorus compounds, the role of phosphorus in agriculture and its impact on the environment, or the use of phosphorus in the production of fertilizers and detergents.

3. How can the presence of phosphorus in water sources affect the environment?

The presence of excess phosphorus in water sources can lead to eutrophication, which is the overgrowth of algae and other aquatic plants. This can deplete oxygen levels in the water, leading to the death of aquatic animals and disrupting the balance of the ecosystem.

4. What are some common uses of phosphorus in everyday life?

Phosphorus is commonly used in fertilizers, detergents, and industrial chemicals such as phosphoric acid. It is also used in the production of steel and in the manufacturing of electronics, such as computer chips.

5. How can the amount of phosphorus in soil affect plant growth?

The amount of phosphorus in soil can greatly impact plant growth. Too little phosphorus can limit plant growth, while too much can be toxic. Proper levels of phosphorus are important for the development of strong roots and healthy plants.