How Can I Find Information on COD and International Standards for Water Quality?

In summary, the conversation involved discussing a Chemistry group project on water quality, specifically the COD (Chemical oxygen demand) part. The teacher mentioned that COD contains two parts: concentration and light absorbance rate. However, the speaker was unable to find information on the light absorbance rate online. They also asked for information on how to access international standards for water quality. Another member of the conversation shared a link to a website that specializes in BOD (Biological oxygen demand) testing.
Leaping antalope
Hi everyone:
I am doing my Chemistry group project right now, it is something about the water quality. And I am in charge of the COD (Chemical oxygen demand) part. The teacher told me that COD contains two parts: concentration (mg/L)and light absorbance rate (A)...something like that (I translated it from Chinese). But I didnt found any related information about the "light absorbance rate" on the internet. Can anyone give me some information about COD?
Also, can someone tell me how can I get the international standards (or standards of other countries, or organizations such as UN or EU) of water quality (COD, BOD, DO...etc)? Thanks a lot!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Wow, right above me, I just had a link "Biological oxygen demand", linking to www.polyseed.com[/url]. Now my second window has been directed to [url]http://www.interlabsupply.com/[/URL], where it says:

Welcome to InterLab Supply, your complete source for BOD testing and home of the "Original" PolySeed

Well, there ye have at least something to start with :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi there,

It sounds like you have a very interesting project on water quality for your Chemistry group project. The COD part sounds like a crucial component, as it measures the amount of oxygen needed to chemically break down organic matter in water. To answer your question, the "light absorbance rate" is also known as the optical density, which is a measure of how much light is absorbed by a substance. In this case, it refers to the amount of light absorbed by the water sample due to the presence of organic compounds.

As for finding information on COD, I recommend checking out scientific journals or databases such as PubMed or ScienceDirect. You can also consult your teacher or a chemistry textbook for more information on the topic. Additionally, you can reach out to your classmates or other students who may have done a similar project in the past for guidance.

To find international standards for water quality, you can refer to the World Health Organization (WHO) or the United Nations (UN) for guidelines and regulations. You can also check with your local government or environmental agencies for specific standards and regulations in your country.

I hope this helps and good luck with your project! Chemistry can be a complex subject, but with thorough research and collaboration with your group, I am sure you will produce an excellent project. Best of luck!

1. What is the purpose of a chemistry group project?

The purpose of a chemistry group project is to allow students to work collaboratively and apply their knowledge of chemistry to a real-world problem or experiment. It also helps students develop essential skills such as communication, teamwork, and critical thinking.

2. How are group roles typically assigned in a chemistry group project?

In a chemistry group project, roles are typically assigned based on each member's strengths and interests. This can be done by the group leader or by mutual agreement among the group members. Common roles include project manager, researcher, data analyst, and presenter.

3. What are some important factors to consider when choosing a chemistry group project topic?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a chemistry group project topic include the relevance to the course material, feasibility of the project, availability of resources, and potential for meaningful results. It is also important to choose a topic that is interesting and engaging for all group members.

4. How can group conflicts be resolved in a chemistry group project?

Group conflicts can be resolved in a chemistry group project by establishing clear communication and teamwork guidelines at the beginning of the project. It is also important for group members to actively listen to each other's perspectives and find a compromise that works for everyone. If conflicts cannot be resolved within the group, it may be necessary to involve the instructor or a mediator.

5. What are some tips for a successful chemistry group project presentation?

To have a successful chemistry group project presentation, it is important to practice beforehand and make sure all group members are familiar with the material. Each member should have a specific role in the presentation, and there should be a clear and organized flow of information. Visual aids, such as charts or diagrams, can also enhance the presentation. It is also important to engage the audience and be prepared to answer any questions or concerns.