1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry help: egg on a mountain.

1. Jun 2, 2005 #1
    Hello, Im stuck on a question. I can come up with ideas but tying them together gets me stuck. Plus word problems always confuse me greatly. OK:

At the top of a mountain, an egg is heated in boiling water for 4 minutes and is found to be uncooked. Explain.

What I know is: On the mountain the atmospheric pressure is lower. This lower pressure results in increased volume. If the volume is greater, the water takes longer to boil... so the temperature isnt as high. Is that why the egg isnt cooked??? Due to these conditions it would take longer than 4 minutes to cook the egg. Is that even remotely correct or am I way off. PLEASE HELP!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2005 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're almost there.

You're right to say that the atmospheric pressure at the top of a mountain is lower. This directly results in the boiling temperature of water being lower. The simple way to think of it is that when you boil water, you're trying to turn it into a gas. If the surrounding pressure is low, it's easier for the water to turn from liquid to gas, so it boils at a lower temperature.

As a result, your boiling water will be at a lower temperature compared with at sea-level. It's heat which cooks your egg, not the fact that it's just in boiling water, so you'll have a runny egg! It's not really anything to do with the water taking longer to boil (although it's going to be pretty nippy up there!), it's just that the water does not boil at as high a temperature.

At the top of Mount Everest, for example, water boils at about 72 degrees Celcius. It's impossible to make a decent cup of tea up there.

4. Jun 2, 2005 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not an Earl Grey maybe...but a Darjeeling ?

5. Jun 2, 2005 #4

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Mm, I asked for that really...

Anyway, you'd think so, but no. A lot of mountaineer friends of mine have had to get used to drinking crap tea.

6. Jun 2, 2005 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Brewnog has your answer. This part:
    is a red herring.

7. Jun 2, 2005 #6
    Thanks A Lot!

THANKS SOO MUCH
    I got it now.. umm minus the tea brands conversation but yea lol. THANKS

8. Jun 3, 2005 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

See if you can ever get a Brit to not talk about tea. It's impossible.

9. Jun 3, 2005 #8

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What, no portable pressure cooker?

10. Jun 3, 2005 #9

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Apparently not. I'm not really sure why. Perhaps once you pour it into a mug, it just keeps boiling off so fast that it's stewed too much by the time you can drink it! Or maybe it's just because they're too heavy to carry... I don't know! Anyway, most of them are capable of going for a few days without a good brew. That in itself is a mystery to be answered...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?