1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry Help Please!

1. Sep 23, 2006 #1
    The specific heat capacity of solid lead is 0.159J/g°C, the molar enthalpy of fusion is 5.0kJ/mol, and the melting point of lead is 328°C. Calculate the total energy required to change 100g of lead at 25°C to molten lead at it's melting point.

I don't even know where to start, I know q=mc(delta)t and q=n(delta)H but I don't know which to use or when.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2006 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

At least make a stab at it --- what's q? m? c? deltaT? n? deltaH? Look at the definitions of those quantities.

4. Sep 23, 2006 #3
    Fair enough, the least I can do is try it. Basically I will find the heat required to bring the lead to it's melting point using q = mc(delta)t.
    So, q = (100g)(0.159/J/g°C)(328°C-25°C)....
    q = 4.8x10^3 J.

After finding that out I need to find the energy required to actually melt the lead and change it's form from solid to a liquid. I would use q = n(delta)H.

n = the ammount of moles per the 100g given. So 100g / 207.2g/mol = 0.483mol.

q = (0.483mol)(5.0kJ/mol) = 2.4kJ.
    ----------------------------------------
    So I have some numbers, and I assume that I add the two together. If I do infact have to do this, which unit (kJ or J) should I express it in?

5. Sep 23, 2006 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

See? Not so hard was it? Units? Pick one, or use both --- delH, or q, = x.yzx kJ, or xyzx J. If you've got an obsessive-compulsive, anal-retentive teacher, use whatever you've been told --- "both" usually keeps such people happy.

6. Sep 23, 2006 #5
    Haha alright. I'd normally follow your "obsessive-compulsive, anal-retentive teacher" advice but this is the first set of work I've passed in to him, and he has yet to say what he preferrs.

It's not that I can't do the work, it's that I hate not knowing if I'm right or wrong or even in the same ball park.

Thank you for your help!

-Jay

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?