Chemistry Help-Types of Chemical Reactions

In summary, you are looking for help with balancing chemical equations and identifying the type of chemical reaction. You also need assistance with writing condensed word equations. You provide examples for each and ask for feedback on your proposed word equations. Your goal is to hand in an assignment worth a lot of marks.
Raza
Hello, I just need some help on these questions and some explaining.

What to do:
> Balance each of the following chemical equations.
> Identify the type of chemical reaction (Decompostion, Combustion and Synthesis)
> Write the condensed word equation

A)[tex] Li + Hg(ClO)_2 \xrightarrow~Hg + LiClO[/tex]

B)[tex] C_8H_1_8 + O_2 \xrightarrow~CO_2 + H_2O[/tex]

C)[tex] KOH + FeCl_3 \xrightarrow~KCI + Fe(OH)_3[/tex]

D)[tex] Au + O_2 \xrightarrow~Au_2O[/tex]

E)[tex] KCI\xrightarrow~K + Cl_2[/tex]

F)[tex] Ni + Cl_2 \xrightarrow~NiCl_3[/tex]

I know how to balance equation, for example; letter F would be:

F)[tex] 2Ni + 3Cl_2 \xrightarrow~2NiCl_3[/tex]

I also know how to identify the type of chemical reaction, for example; letter F would be:
F)[tex] Ni + Cl_2 \xrightarrow~NiCl_3 \xleftarrow~[/tex] Synthesis

I need to know how to write a consedensed word equation.

And How would you write this out into a chemical equation:

A solution of carbonate and hydrogen hydroxide are produced when limewater reacts with your breath.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is your breath composed of? If you know that, all you need to do is balance the equation and know formulas for carbonate and hydrogen hydroxide.

To write a condensed word equation just follow the example you have given

Raza said:
...I need to know how to write a consedensed word equation.

And How would you write this out into a chemical equation:[/b]
A solution of carbonate and hydrogen hydroxide are produced when limewater reacts with your breath.

As courtigrad mentioned, the quoted sentence is itself an example of such a word equation. You just want to substitute each chemical formula with the correct chemical name (see this link for help with naming compounds) and if possible, mention what type of reaction is happening.

Let me do one :

B) Octane combusts completely in oxygen ('air' may be acceptable too) producing carbon dioxide and water vapor.

I've made use of the knowledge that the reaction is a combustion reaction, and I've also mentioned that water is in the form of vapor, which I know because such combustion reactions usually produce a lot of heat.

As for your other question, I suggest you Google it to find out for yourself. IMO, it's a little too much to expect someone who hasn't heard of this reaction (it's quite a popular one) to know that it's the CO2 in your breath that's important.

What do write for limewater?
I know breath is CO2

Did you even try to Google "breath limewater" ?

A)[tex] Li + Hg(ClO)_2 \xrightarrow~Hg + LiClO[/tex]
Maybe: Lithium + Mercury(II) Chlorine oxide ------> Mercury + Lithium Carbonate

B)[tex] C_8H_1_8 + O_2 \xrightarrow~CO_2 + H_2O[/tex]
Maybe: Hydrocarbon + oxygen ------> Carbonate + Water

C)[tex] KOH + FeCl_3 \xrightarrow~KCI + Fe(OH)_3[/tex]
Maybe: Potassium Hydroxide + Iron Chlorate ------> Iron (III) Hydroxide

D)[tex] Au + O_2 \xrightarrow~Au_2O[/tex]
Maybe: Gold + Oxygen ------> Gold oxide

E)[tex] KCI\xrightarrow~K + Cl_2[/tex]
Maybe: Potassium Carbon Iodine ------> Chlorine

F)[tex] Ni + Cl_2 \xrightarrow~NiCl_3[/tex]
Maybe: Nickel + Chlorine ------> Nickel Chloride

Are the word equation correct?
Please tell me, I have to hand this in and it is worth a lot of marks/

Last edited:
Please Tell me if I made any mistakes!

1. What are the different types of chemical reactions?

The main types of chemical reactions are synthesis, decomposition, single replacement, double replacement, and combustion reactions.

2. How do you identify a synthesis reaction?

A synthesis reaction is characterized by the combination of two or more substances to form a single, more complex product. The general form of a synthesis reaction is A + B → AB.

3. What is a decomposition reaction and how does it occur?

A decomposition reaction is the opposite of a synthesis reaction, where a single compound breaks down into two or more simpler substances. This can occur through heat, light, or electricity, and the general form of a decomposition reaction is AB → A + B.

4. What is a single replacement reaction and how can you recognize it?

In a single replacement reaction, one element replaces another element in a compound. The general form is A + BC → AC + B. This type of reaction is also known as a displacement reaction and can be recognized by the changing of a single element in the reactants to a different element in the products.

5. Can you explain a double replacement reaction and provide an example?

A double replacement reaction occurs when the positive and negative ions of two compounds switch places, resulting in two new compounds. The general form is AB + CD → AD + CB. An example of this type of reaction is the reaction between silver nitrate (AgNO3) and sodium chloride (NaCl), resulting in the formation of silver chloride (AgCl) and sodium nitrate (NaNO3).