1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry Help

1. Dec 18, 2006 #1
    I am doing an assignment and I'm not sure if the answer is endothermic decomposition someone please help me!!!!
    During an experiment, a metal and an excess of fluorine gas were placed into a combustion chamber at a temperature of 1800°C. The temperature in the sealed chamber continued to rise to 2100°C. After the reaction stopped, a brittle white substance, which dissolved in water, was extracted from the chamber. From this evidence one could conclude that this reaction can be classified as
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

I'm no chem expert (by any means), but if the sealed chamber's temperature rose during the reaction, would the RX be endothermic? What are the other options.....?
  4. Dec 19, 2006 #3

And if two things went in and one thing came out ... would the rxn be a decomposition?
  5. Dec 19, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is not an attempt at a solution. This is just a wild guess.

At the very least you should tell us what you think is decomposing into what.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?