Endothermic Decomposition Experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses a chemical reaction where a metal and an excess of fluorine gas were placed in a combustion chamber at a high temperature. After the reaction, a brittle white substance was extracted and it is questioned whether the reaction is endothermic decomposition. The speaker is unsure and asks for assistance.
spicegirl
I am doing an assignment and I'm not sure if the answer is endothermic decomposition someone please help me!
During an experiment, a metal and an excess of fluorine gas were placed into a combustion chamber at a temperature of 1800°C. The temperature in the sealed chamber continued to rise to 2100°C. After the reaction stopped, a brittle white substance, which dissolved in water, was extracted from the chamber. From this evidence one could conclude that this reaction can be classified as

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm no chem expert (by any means), but if the sealed chamber's temperature rose during the reaction, would the RX be endothermic? What are the other options...?

And if two things went in and one thing came out ... would the rxn be a decomposition?

spicegirl said:
I am doing an assignment and I'm not sure if the answer is endothermic decomposition someone please help me!
This is not an attempt at a solution. This is just a wild guess.

At the very least you should tell us what you think is decomposing into what.

What is endothermic decomposition?

Endothermic decomposition is a chemical reaction in which a substance breaks down into smaller molecules or elements, absorbing heat from its surroundings in the process.

Why is the endothermic decomposition experiment important?

The endothermic decomposition experiment is important because it allows scientists to understand how certain substances break down and release energy. This information can then be used to develop new materials and improve existing processes.

How is the endothermic decomposition experiment conducted?

The endothermic decomposition experiment typically involves heating a substance in a controlled environment and measuring the temperature change over time. This allows scientists to determine the amount of heat absorbed during the decomposition process.

What are some examples of endothermic decomposition reactions?

Some examples of endothermic decomposition reactions include the thermal decomposition of limestone to form calcium oxide and carbon dioxide, and the decomposition of water into hydrogen and oxygen gas under high temperatures.

What are the practical applications of endothermic decomposition?

Endothermic decomposition reactions have practical applications in various industries, such as in the production of fertilizers, plastics, and pharmaceuticals. They are also used in cooling systems and self-heating food and beverage containers.