Temperature when a 40 g ice cube at 0.0C is dropped into 500ml of water at 30C?

• Thread starter Maggie 13
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, The conversation is about a question regarding a chemistry problem involving an ice cube melting in water. The person is asking for help with finding the final temperature and the equation and math to use. They mention knowing the formula mc(delta)t for heat, and that the ice has a different heat capacity from the resulting water. They also suggest editing the post to refer to the relevant formulas.
Maggie 13
I am new to this ... I mean forums never done it before so bear with me.
Need help with this chem question
A 40 g ice cube at 0.0C is dropped into %00ml of water at 30C. Assuming the ice melts completely,find the final temperature.
I need the equation to use and the math explained step by step if some one can help
Thanks

these are the formulas that i know i need to use
mc(delta) t... (don't know how to get the symbol for delta)
nH

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that '%00ml' refers to 500 mL?

Try editing your post to clearly refer to the formulas you know or intend to use.

Hint: At 0C, ice begins to melt. This heat is the heat of fusion. After melting, the material (now 40 g of water) is still at 0C and has a heat capacity that is different from that of ice.

2O (delta) Hf

Hello there! Don't worry, we are here to help. To answer your question, we will need to use the heat transfer equation:

Q = m x c x ΔT

Where:
Q = heat transfer (in Joules)
m = mass (in grams)
c = specific heat capacity (in J/g°C)
ΔT = change in temperature (in °C)

First, let's convert the mass of the ice cube into kilograms:
40 g = 0.04 kg

Next, let's calculate the initial heat of the ice cube:
Q1 = m x c x ΔT
Q1 = (0.04 kg) x (2.09 J/g°C) x (0.0°C - (-10°C))
Q1 = 8.36 J

Now, let's calculate the heat needed to melt the ice:
Q2 = nH2O x ΔHf
Q2 = (0.04 kg) x (334 J/g)
Q2 = 13.36 J

Since the ice is melting, the heat transfer from the ice to the water is equal to the heat needed to melt the ice:
Q1 = Q2
8.36 J = 13.36 J
Therefore, the total heat transfer is 21.72 J.

Now, we can use the heat transfer equation to find the final temperature of the water:
Q = m x c x ΔT
21.72 J = (0.5 kg) x (4.18 J/g°C) x (Tf - 30°C)
Tf - 30°C = 5.2°C
Tf = 35.2°C

Therefore, the final temperature of the water will be 35.2°C.

I hope this helps! Just remember to always use the correct units and follow the steps of the equation. Good luck with your studies!

What is Chemistry Help?

Chemistry Help is a resource for students and individuals seeking assistance with understanding and solving problems related to chemistry. It can come in the form of tutoring, online resources, or physical study materials.

How can Chemistry Help benefit me?

Chemistry Help can benefit you by providing a deeper understanding of the subject, improved problem-solving skills, and better grades. It can also help you prepare for exams and gain a stronger foundation for future studies in chemistry or related fields.

What topics does Chemistry Help cover?

Chemistry Help can cover a wide range of topics including general chemistry, organic chemistry, biochemistry, physical chemistry, and more. It can also cover specific concepts such as chemical equations, periodic table trends, and stoichiometry.

What resources are available for Chemistry Help?

There are many resources available for Chemistry Help including textbooks, study guides, online tutorials, practice problems, and interactive simulations. You can also seek help from tutors, professors, or study groups for additional support.

How can I make the most out of Chemistry Help?

To make the most out of Chemistry Help, it is important to actively participate and engage with the material. Take notes, ask questions, and practice solving problems. It can also be helpful to break down larger concepts into smaller, manageable parts and review regularly to reinforce your understanding.