What is the formula for the hydrate?

• Thread starter gigi9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the conversation is about a chemistry problem involving finding the formula for a hydrate of BaCl2. The problem involves heating a sample and determining its mass before and after. The solution involves finding the number of moles of BaCl2 and balancing it out with the number of moles of H2O. The final answer is BaCl2 * 2H2O.
gigi9
Chemistry help please!

I've tried to work out the problem below, but I got weird answer, it's not even in one of the choices. Please help me solve this problem and show me out u got it. Thank you.
A sample of a hydrate of BaCl2 with a mass of 61 grams was heated until all the water was removed. The sample was then weighed and found to have a mass of 52 grams. What is the formula for the hydrate?
(A) BaCl2 * 5H2O
(B) BaCl2 * 4H2O
(C) BaCl2 * 3H2O
(D) BaCl2 * 2H2O
(E) BaCl2 * H2O

Physics news on Phys.org
show us what you did first

Ba=137.3gtams Cl2=71 grams
BaCl2=208.3 grams --> but the answer in book says BaCl2 =244 grams.
61 grams - 52 grams = 9 grams
9grams / 18grams (H2O) = 1/2
so my answer is BaCl2 * 1/2 H2O, which doesn't make any sense @ all, and it's not one of the answer choices.

ok so you have 1/2 moles of H20, how many moles of BaCl2 do you have? balance them out and you'll get the answer.

1. What is a hydrate?

A hydrate is a compound that contains water molecules attached to its chemical structure. The water molecules are not chemically bonded to the compound, but rather, they are held by weak intermolecular forces.

2. What is the difference between a hydrate and an anhydrous compound?

A hydrate contains water molecules, while an anhydrous compound does not. An anhydrous compound may have previously contained water molecules, but they have been removed through a chemical process.

3. What is the formula for a hydrate?

The formula for a hydrate is written as the chemical formula of the compound followed by a dot and the number of water molecules present, usually denoted with a coefficient.

4. How do you determine the formula for a hydrate?

To determine the formula for a hydrate, you must first know the chemical formula of the anhydrous compound and the number of water molecules present. Then, you can use the mole ratio between the anhydrous compound and water molecules to write the formula.

5. Why is it important to know the formula for a hydrate?

Knowing the formula for a hydrate is important for accurately determining the amount of water present in a compound. It is also important in industries such as food and pharmaceuticals, where the amount of water in a product can affect its quality and stability.