Is My Calculation of NO2 Production Accurate?

In summary, when solving a chemistry homework problem, it is important to read and understand the problem, identify the given information and what you are trying to solve for, choose the appropriate formula or equation, substitute the given values, solve for the unknown variable, and check your answer for reasonableness. Units are also crucial and should be carefully considered based on the given information. If you get a different answer from the back of the textbook, it is important to double-check your work and ask for help if needed. To improve problem-solving skills, practice and break down problems into smaller parts. Common mistakes to avoid include not reading the problem carefully, using the wrong formula, forgetting to convert units, making calculation errors, and not checking the answer for
ldixon
2N2O5 heat-- 4NO2 + O2

1.618 g of O2 are produced, how much NO2 in grams are produced? I got 9.30 g NO2, is that right? I used 1 mol O2 = 32 g O2, and 1 mol NO2 = 46g NO2. I first converted g O2 to Mol O2 then used the balanced equation to convert from mol O2 to mol NO2, then converted to NO2 to grams. If anyone can tell me if I did this right I would greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
The steps that you outlined are good, however I haven't checked your calculations specifically.

Based on your calculations, it seems like you have correctly converted the given amount of O2 to moles and then used the balanced equation to determine the moles of NO2 produced. Your final step of converting moles to grams using the molar mass of NO2 is also correct. Therefore, your answer of 9.30 g NO2 appears to be correct. However, it is always a good idea to double-check your work and make sure you have used the correct molar masses and performed the conversions accurately. Overall, it seems like you have a good understanding of the concept and have solved the problem correctly.

1. What are the steps for solving a chemistry homework problem?

The steps for solving a chemistry homework problem may vary depending on the specific problem, but generally they include:

1. Read and understand the problem
  2. Identify the given information and what you are trying to solve for
  3. Choose the appropriate formula or equation
  4. Substitute the given values into the equation
  5. Solve for the unknown variable
  6. Check your answer and make sure it is reasonable

2. How do I know which units to use in a chemistry homework problem?

Units are an important part of chemistry, and it is essential to use the correct units in a homework problem. The units used in a chemistry problem will depend on the given information and what you are trying to solve for. Make sure to read the problem carefully and pay attention to the units given. If necessary, you may need to convert between units using conversion factors.

3. What should I do if I get a different answer than the one in the back of the textbook?

If you get a different answer than the one in the back of the textbook, don't panic! It could be due to rounding errors or a mistake in your calculations. Check your work and make sure you used the correct formula and units. If you are still unsure, ask your teacher or a classmate for help.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in chemistry?

Practice makes perfect! The best way to improve your problem-solving skills in chemistry is by practicing different types of problems. You can also try to break down the problem into smaller parts and understand the concepts and formulas behind each step. Additionally, don't be afraid to ask for help from your teacher or classmates if you are stuck on a problem.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving chemistry homework problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving chemistry homework problems include:

• Not reading the problem carefully and missing important information
  • Using the wrong formula or equation
  • Forgetting to convert units
  • Making calculation errors
  • Not checking your answer for reasonableness
To avoid these mistakes, make sure to take your time and double-check your work before submitting your homework.