Solve Chemistry HW: Silver Ions + H2SO4 | Help with Answers

• Thread starter kevin0788
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary: The first question is asking for the amount of NaCl needed to precipitate the silver ions from the AgNo3 solution. This can be solved using stoichiometry, finding the moles of silver ions present and then using the mole ratio between silver and chloride to calculate the moles of chloride needed. Finally, using the molar mass of NaCl, the mass of NaCl can be calculated.The second question involves a titration, where the concentration of the acid (H2SO4) is unknown but can be calculated using the volume and concentration of the base (NaOH) used in the titration. The balanced chemical equation for the neutralization reaction is provided. Using the titration formula, the concentration of the acid can
kevin0788
Hi, i have 2 questions about my chemistry homework i can not figure out
The first question is:

1)Silver ions can be precipitated from an aqueous solutions by the addition of aqueous chloride:

Ag+(aq) + Cl-(aq) ---->AgCl(s)

Silver chloride is virtualy insoluble in water so that the reaction appears to go to completion. How many grams of solid NaCl must be added to 25.0mL of 0.326 M AgNo3 solution to completely precititate the silver?

The second question is:

2) A 31.5 mL aliquot of H2SO4(aq) of unknown concentration was titrated with 0.0134 M NaOH(aq). It took 23.9 mL of the base to reach the endpoint of the titration. The concentration (M) of the acid was_____. (be sure to write a balanced chemical equation for the neutralization reaction.)

I already balanced the equation.

H2SO4 + 2NaOH ------> Na2SO4 + 2H2O

Can anybody tell me how to go about solving either of these questions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Basically both questions are simple stoichiometry with moles/mass and volume/moles conversions.

kevin0788 said:

Silver chloride is virtualy insoluble in water so that the reaction appears to go to completion. How many grams of solid NaCl must be added to 25.0mL of 0.326 M AgNo3 solution to completely precititate the silver?

How many moles of silver? How many moles of chloride needed? What mass?

2) A 31.5 mL aliquot of H2SO4(aq) of unknown concentration was titrated with 0.0134 M NaOH(aq). It took 23.9 mL of the base to reach the endpoint of the titration. The concentration (M) of the acid was_____. (be sure to write a balanced chemical equation for the neutralization reaction.)

http://www.titrations.info/titration-calculation

--
methods

Chemistry

Hi, i have 2 questions about my chemistry homework i can not figure out
The first question is:

1)Silver ions can be precipitated from an aqueous solutions by the addition of aqueous chloride:

The second question is:

I already balanced the equation.

H2SO4 + 2NaOH ------> Na2SO4 + 2H2O

Can anybody tell me how to go about solving either of these questions?

What is the chemical equation for the reaction between silver ions and H2SO4?

The chemical equation for this reaction is Ag+ + H2SO4 → Ag2SO4 + H+.

What is the oxidation state of silver in this reaction?

The oxidation state of silver is +1 in this reaction.

What is the role of H2SO4 in this reaction?

H2SO4 acts as a strong acid in this reaction, providing hydrogen ions (H+) to react with the silver ions and form silver sulfate (Ag2SO4).

What is the color of silver sulfate?

Silver sulfate is a white solid, so it has no distinct color.

What is the molar mass of silver sulfate?

The molar mass of silver sulfate is 311.8 g/mol.