• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

CHEMISTRY: I need help filling out this flow chart for Group 1 Cations

• Thread starter WahooMan
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Here is my lab:

http://comp.uark.edu/~rallan/Exp20.pdf [Broken]

Homework Equations

None that I know of

The Attempt at a Solution

I ran the experiment once on a known substance and once on an unknown substance. Here are my results:

In the known substance, Pb Hg and Ag were all present according to the tests.

In the unknown substance, only Ag was present according to the tests.

I really need some help with this flow diagram (the last page that says Experiment 36).

Pretty much all I really need to know is how do I know what the "solution contains"? For example, the first part that is filled out for me says "Solution contains ions in Groups II and III" but how do I know that? And how do I know what to put in the other "solution contains" blanks?

Thank you so much to anyone that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor
That's a little bit confusing. It is not that "Solution contains", it is "Solution may contain". What it realy contains you will check later.

--
methods

So what should I put?

Thank you so much for your help I have class in 2 hours and I need to get this done.

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
If the test is negative (no ppt where one is expected) you put 'nothing'. If you have a ppt where one is expected (ie. when ammonia is added to the hot precipitate) you put 'name of the metal species'. For example, if you get a gray solid after treating the hot ppt of the HCl treatment, you would put 'Hg2+2' in that blank.