1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

CHEMISTRY: I need help filling out this flow chart for Group 1 Cations

1. Nov 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Here is my lab:

http://comp.uark.edu/~rallan/Exp20.pdf [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

None that I know of

3. The attempt at a solution

I ran the experiment once on a known substance and once on an unknown substance. Here are my results:

In the known substance, Pb Hg and Ag were all present according to the tests.

In the unknown substance, only Ag was present according to the tests.

I really need some help with this flow diagram (the last page that says Experiment 36).

Pretty much all I really need to know is how do I know what the "solution contains"? For example, the first part that is filled out for me says "Solution contains ions in Groups II and III" but how do I know that? And how do I know what to put in the other "solution contains" blanks?

Thank you so much to anyone that helps.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

That's a little bit confusing. It is not that "Solution contains", it is "Solution may contain". What it realy contains you will check later.

--
    methods

4. Nov 5, 2009 #3
    So what should I put?

Thank you so much for your help I have class in 2 hours and I need to get this done.

5. Nov 5, 2009 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the test is negative (no ppt where one is expected) you put 'nothing'. If you have a ppt where one is expected (ie. when ammonia is added to the hot precipitate) you put 'name of the metal species'. For example, if you get a gray solid after treating the hot ppt of the HCl treatment, you would put 'Hg2+2' in that blank.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook