1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry - Ksp

1. Feb 13, 2005 #1
    I know this isn't a physics problem, but it's due tomorrow and I'm really stuck :(

Calculate the mass, in grams, of calcium ion dissolved in the water of a 40.0 gallon hot-water tank saturated with calcium phosphate. (Ksp calcium phosphate = 2.0e-29, 1.00gal=3.80L).

>> I'm really lost here, we just started Ksp at the end of last class and I'm stuck. So far I just converted 40.0gal = 152L. I also *think* Ksp = [Ca][PO4]? Do I have to set up an equilibrium table? Actually, I'm not even sure of the chemical equation to set up... Ca3(PO4)2 <-> Ca2+ + (PO4)3- ??

:( Please help I'm very confused!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your equation : [tex]Ca_3(PO_4)_2 \leftrightarrow nCa^{2+} + m(PO_4)^{3-} [/tex] needs to be balanced. That is the first step.

Then you must write [tex]K_{sp} = [Ca^{2+}]^n[(PO_4)^{3-}]^m [/tex]

If there's x moles/L of calcium ions, how many moles/L of phosphate ions will you have ? Use the balanced equation to determine this.

Plug these numbers into the equation (above) for Ksp and solve for x.

From here it's fairly straightforward.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?