Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry Lab help

1. Nov 5, 2003 #1
    I have a lab and have no clue what to do some help would be very usefull please! Here it is!

It has been a very hot weekend in the school. You have just walked into your chemistry room and have found 4 storage bottles with the labels fallen off. You must come up with a lab procedure to determine which chemical is in each storage bottle.

the four chemicals in the storage bottle are lead(II) nitrate, lithium carbonate, ammonium sulphate, and sodium chloride

there are the following solutions: sodium sulphate, sodium chloride, sodium carbonate, sodium phosphate, sodium hydroxide, calcium nitrate, lead(II) nitrate, barium nitrate calcium nitrate, copper(II) nitrate

I need to right a procedure to determine the identities of the unknowns. i need help asap! thanks a bunch

ps i teacher said that solubility rules wud come in handy!
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2003 #2
    It looks like you need to do some precipitation tests. The cannon fodder of freshmen chemistry labs. My first advice to any lab student is to make sure you thoroughly read through the lab manual. Ninety nine times out of ten the answers are right there.
  4. Nov 5, 2003 #3
    thts the lab, above, thts all tht was sent...:S its grade 11 so can u help me at all?
  5. Nov 6, 2003 #4
    How these lab's work is, you add one salt to a solution and you get a tell tale result; for example, and this is going off of my memory, so it's entirely unreliable, if you add the lead salt to the sulfate solution you should precipitate out lead sulfate, which is bright yellow and very distinct. Therefore if you add one of your unidentified salts to the sodium sulfate solution and you get a bright yellow precipitate, then the unknown was likely lead nitrate. That's how these experiments work in principle. What the results are in each combination and permutation I don't remember or care to. But they're probably in your text book and you shoud read it so you can properly do this lab.
  6. Nov 6, 2003 #5
    THNX A bunch
    peace yo
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?