Chemistry Lab Help: Identifying Unknown Chemicals Using Solubility Rules

In summary, a lab procedure is needed to determine the identities of four unknown chemicals found in storage bottles with fallen labels. The solutions available include sodium sulphate, sodium chloride, sodium carbonate, sodium phosphate, sodium hydroxide, calcium nitrate, lead(II) nitrate, barium nitrate, calcium nitrate, and copper(II) nitrate. The use of solubility rules may be helpful in performing precipitation tests to identify the unknowns. It is recommended to thoroughly read through the lab manual and consult the textbook for proper procedures and results.
Markiss
I have a lab and have no clue what to do some help would be very usefull please! Here it is!

It has been a very hot weekend in the school. You have just walked into your chemistry room and have found 4 storage bottles with the labels fallen off. You must come up with a lab procedure to determine which chemical is in each storage bottle.

the four chemicals in the storage bottle are lead(II) nitrate, lithium carbonate, ammonium sulphate, and sodium chloride

there are the following solutions: sodium sulphate, sodium chloride, sodium carbonate, sodium phosphate, sodium hydroxide, calcium nitrate, lead(II) nitrate, barium nitrate calcium nitrate, copper(II) nitrate

I need to right a procedure to determine the identities of the unknowns. i need help asap! thanks a bunch

ps i teacher said that solubility rules wud come in handy!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Markiss
I have a lab and have no clue what to do some help would be very usefull please! Here it is!

It has been a very hot weekend in the school. You have just walked into your chemistry room and have found 4 storage bottles with the labels fallen off. You must come up with a lab procedure to determine which chemical is in each storage bottle.

the four chemicals in the storage bottle are lead(II) nitrate, lithium carbonate, ammonium sulphate, and sodium chloride

there are the following solutions: sodium sulphate, sodium chloride, sodium carbonate, sodium phosphate, sodium hydroxide, calcium nitrate, lead(II) nitrate, barium nitrate calcium nitrate, copper(II) nitrate

I need to right a procedure to determine the identities of the unknowns. i need help asap! thanks a bunch

ps i teacher said that solubility rules wud come in handy!

It looks like you need to do some precipitation tests. The cannon fodder of freshmen chemistry labs. My first advice to any lab student is to make sure you thoroughly read through the lab manual. Ninety nine times out of ten the answers are right there.

thts the lab, above, thts all tht was sent...:S its grade 11 so can u help me at all?

Originally posted by Markiss
thts the lab, above, thts all tht was sent...:S its grade 11 so can u help me at all?

How these lab's work is, you add one salt to a solution and you get a tell tale result; for example, and this is going off of my memory, so it's entirely unreliable, if you add the lead salt to the sulfate solution you should precipitate out lead sulfate, which is bright yellow and very distinct. Therefore if you add one of your unidentified salts to the sodium sulfate solution and you get a bright yellow precipitate, then the unknown was likely lead nitrate. That's how these experiments work in principle. What the results are in each combination and permutation I don't remember or care to. But they're probably in your textbook and you shoud read it so you can properly do this lab.

THNX A bunch
peace yo

What is the purpose of identifying unknown chemicals in a chemistry lab?

The purpose of identifying unknown chemicals is to determine their properties and characteristics, which can be useful in various applications such as medicine, agriculture, and manufacturing. It also helps to ensure the safety of the environment and human health by identifying potential hazards.

How do solubility rules help in identifying unknown chemicals?

Solubility rules provide a set of guidelines that help to predict whether a substance will dissolve in a particular solvent. By following these rules, we can narrow down the possible identities of unknown chemicals based on their solubility in different solvents.

What are some commonly used solvents in identifying unknown chemicals?

Some commonly used solvents in identifying unknown chemicals include water, ethanol, acetone, and hydrochloric acid. These solvents have different polarities and can dissolve a wide range of substances, making them useful in identifying unknown chemicals.

What factors can affect the solubility of a chemical?

The solubility of a chemical can be affected by various factors such as temperature, pressure, and the nature of the solute and solvent. For example, increasing the temperature can increase the solubility of some substances, while decreasing the temperature can decrease the solubility.

What precautions should be taken when working with unknown chemicals in a lab?

When working with unknown chemicals, it is important to wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves, goggles, and a lab coat. It is also essential to follow proper handling and disposal procedures to avoid any potential hazards. Additionally, it is recommended to perform the experiment in a well-ventilated area and to have a chemical safety data sheet (SDS) on hand for each unknown chemical.