1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry Lab question

1. Oct 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A plant takes in 20.24 kg/day Al, 24.04 kg/day S8, 48.00 kg/day 02, and 753 kg/day H2O. It's product stream is 254.3 kg/day AlSO4+12(H2O). The rest of it's water goes to "other things".

How much water goes to other things?

2. Relevant equations

20.24+24.04+48.00+753=845.28 kg - 254.3 = 590.98 kg = 591 L/d

3. The attempt at a solution

I added the masses of the raw materials, subtracted the mass of the product stream, and the remainder is the water used for "other things."

It seems easy enough to me, but the simplicity of the question is giving me pause, as it's the first question in this course which seemed this simple. My result was 591 L/d.

Basically I want to know if I did this correctly, or am I barking up the completely wrong tree. If I'm wrong, I'd appreciate it if someone told me, but left it at that, as I'd like to try and figure it out on my own.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Your intuition is right - it is not a correct answer.

Only part of the 254.3 kg is water.

Then, I have never seen compound with formula AlSO4.

--
    methods

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook