Chemistry Lab Titration: Ca(OH)2 and Vinegar Solution Data Analysis

In summary, the titration lab went well. We used a weak base (calcium hydroxide) to titrate a weak acid (acetic acid) and collected data on volume and concentration. The results suggest that the concentration is lower than expected (possibly due to low solubility).
Matt1234
Hello all,

We did a titration lab today. We used Ca(OH)2 in a burret and titrated a 10mL solution of vinegar. The solution of Vinegar was mixed with water, in a 1:20 ratio(inside a flask). So for every 10mL of solution there was 0.5mL of pure vinegar. We used phenothalen as the indicator.

Here is the data we collected:

Volume(Base)= Average(3 trials) = 35.1 mL Ca(OH)2 into vinegar and water solution.
Conecntration(Base) = 0.025 mol/L

Volume(Acid) = 0.5 mL (1/20 ratio at 10 mL per trial)
Conecntration(Acid) = UNKNOWN (I keep getting 3.51 mol/L which is apparently way too high)

Chemical equation:
2 CH3COOH + Ca(OH)2 = Ca(CH3COO)2 + 2 H2O

Solve
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/6696/lastscanm.jpg

Notice i keep getting around 21.06% we were told we should see about 2% I been at this all day and am new to chemistry and cannot for the life of me figure this out.

Please help me.
Thanks,
Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
One possibility: Look for any decimal error. Without actually checking your work, the similarity in numeric results suggests a possible decimal errorl

One curiosity: Is calcium hydroxide actually a strong base? If not, then the reason for titrating a weak acid (acetic in vinegar) with a weak base is unusual.

Hi
Thanks for your reply. We titrated using a weak base because our teacher ran out of sodium hydroxide. So calcium hydroxide was the substitute. I have checked over the calculation several times and cannot find where i have gone wrong with the decimals. I am beginning to wonder if the method is correct at this point that formula was created by the teacher.

Calcium hydroxide is a strong base (it is almost completely dissociated), although of low solubility.

Edit: and this low solubility is an obvious problem here, saturated solution of calcium hydroxide is about 0.011M, it can't be 0.025M.

--
methods

Last edited:
ok thanks for your reply i don't know what to say the teacher gave us the 0.025 figure i also saw another one online for 0.027 for calcium hydroxide. at this point I am very confused i think i will take a late penlty for this lab and ask her on monday. I am very new to chemistry sorry.

I just looked at the vinegar bottle and it says 5% acetic acid by volume.

My average volume was 35.1 for Ca(OH)2. Ill try to start this from scratch. Ill need a proper value for concentration for limewater in mol/L if possible. This should really come off the bottle but the only thing i got to work with is 0.025 mol/L.

Hm, that's interesting - I have checked solubility tables and they suggest 22 mmol/L, while Ksp suggests lower concentration. I have recalculated - and taking ionic strength of the solution into account I got 16.6 mmol/L.

Edit: one more take and it seems 22 mmol/L is OK, there is also CaOH+ complex present - about 5 mmol/L.

--
methods

Last edited:
Ok thanks for confirming that. Ultimately what i don't understand and what i cannot explain is why i get 21 percent while the vinegar bottle says only 5%. i did get similar volumes to my peers this is what I am confused about.

Bump please.

What is a titration?

A titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution by reacting it with a known concentration of another substance. It involves gradually adding one solution to another until a chemical reaction is complete.

What equipment is needed for a titration?

The equipment needed for a titration includes a burette, a pipette, a conical flask, and a burette clamp. A burette is used to measure and transfer the titrant, while a pipette is used to accurately measure the volume of the solution being titrated. A conical flask is used to hold the solution being titrated, and a burette clamp is used to hold the burette in place.

What is the purpose of a titration?

The purpose of a titration is to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution. This can be used to analyze the purity of a substance, to determine the amount of a specific compound in a mixture, or to monitor the progress of a chemical reaction.

What is an indicator and how is it used in titration?

An indicator is a substance that changes color in the presence of a specific pH or when a chemical reaction is complete. In titration, indicators are used to signal when the endpoint of the reaction has been reached, indicating the completion of the reaction and allowing for the determination of the concentration of the solution being titrated.

What are some common types of titrations?

Some common types of titrations include acid-base titrations, which involve the reaction between an acid and a base, and redox titrations, which involve the transfer of electrons between two substances. Other types include complexometric titrations, precipitation titrations, and back titrations.